July 8, 2010

Insomnia

Lately, I haven’t been sleeping very well. It’s a strange situation, and one that I can’t remember experiencing before. I will lay down at night, tired and ready for bed. But, instead of falling asleep like normal, I will remain awake for hours. This has been a recurring problem for the past few weeks, so I think it’s time to put my life and daily activities under the microscope.

My first thought was that I’m depressed about something. After careful consideration, that can’t be it. I am completely happy with my life at the moment. I have the freedom to write as I please, I just moved in with my boyfriend, and it is summer. No, I’m not depressed. I can’t be.

My second thought was that it’s way, way too hot in my apartment to sleep comfortably. We have an air conditioner in the living room, but only a fan to keep the bedroom cool. There have been nights when it has been a bit warm, but it certainly hasn’t been hot enough to keep me awake for the few weeks that I’ve been having sleeping problems. No, the summer heat is also not the reason.

So, why can’t I sleep?

I have been wracking my brain and considering all the possibilities over the past few days. And I think I have finally found an answer. As I lay awake at night, and the world is quiet around me, there is one thing that doesn’t stop talking. My brain. Ever since I started writing full-time, I can’t seem to shut off my mind. I am constantly going over character development, piecing together poems, and thinking about blog ideas. Some of my best work has manifested itself in the early morning hours, and I’ve actually gotten out of bed to write on more than one occasion.

Since I have that figured out, what I need to know next is this: what do I do about this?

Creativity is fantastic, and I love the fact that I’m always thinking about writing. But, how do I shut off the creativity when it’s time to go to sleep?

As I am writing this blog, a thought popped into my head. I wonder if the writing floodgates would have opened so suddenly and thoroughly if I had spent my summer working full-time and writing in my spare time. I highly doubt I would have made as much progress, and I bet my mind would have been centred on the job I was doing instead of the stories I was writing.

Authors talk about the “creative process,” and I am beginning to believe that the process does exist. I have written over 55,000 words this summer. After school let out in May, I slowly began to organize my notes and dabble with ideas. Now that I’ve had a few months to adjust to this type of lifestyle, I’m writing thousands of words each day. There was one morning when I actually wrote a draft of an entire story. That’s 13,000 words, in case you were curious.

It’s becoming more and more evident that my creative process involves an overactive mind and a lack of proper rest. This isn’t exactly what I planned on happening when I began this experiment two months ago, but I’ll take it. I believe that my writing is better than ever, and I have no idea when I will be able to spend four months jobless again.

I still haven’t figured out a way to shut off my brain, so I guess I’ll take the insomnia. For now. I might be a little cranky the next time I see you, so please, be nice. And, I’m always open to suggestions on how I can solve this little problem.

Now, I’m going to drink my eighth cup of coffee, and attempt to begin my day.

P.S. Does anyone remember the film The Secret Window with Johnny Depp? (photo above) It's based on a novella by Stephen King, and is about a successful writer who hides in a cabin and suffers from writer's block. I believe he goes nuts at the end of the film. If I start to exhibit similar strange symptoms, let me know before it's too late... Thanks!

7 comments:

  1. My advice? I suffer from this a fair bit myself and I find something that helps is to work out. Exhaust your body to make your mind succumb.

    However, this doesn't always work. In fact, I've been working out for 3 hours a day for the past few days and I still find myself awake at 3am some nights.

    Creativity waits for no one. As much as it's a pain in the ass, try to enjoy it. Keep in mind that some of the most exciting adventures are sometimes the most inconvenient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had this problem on occasion, but it has been awhile since I've really struggled with it. The only thing that helped me was turning on the light and writing down my ideas in note form.

    What you could try to do is create a bed time routine - maybe a warm bath or cup of tea an hour before bed, something relaxing. When you start this routine, try to stop thinking about writing, and when you go to lie down, try to think about something else that relaxes you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why I do not sleep during CreComm... or any time I'm involved in any project I'm excited about, or if there's anything I'm worried about or preoccupied with. It could even be a movie or book that particularly affected me... buzzing brain syndrome.

    Sacrifices for your art, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda's Mom8/7/10 9:19 PM

    Eighth cup of coffee? By 9:55 am? Maybe this is the problem?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had this problem often; especially recently. Not that I've perfected the art of falling asleep, but here's a few tips.

    -Exhaust your body physically, to echo a previous post.
    -Deep breathing.
    -Don't try to sleep right after doing something mentally active. Calm your brain down for an hour or so, with mindless television or (very) light reading.
    -Beer.
    -Soothing music. (Likely more difficult if you share a bedroom with someone.)

    Also, you might have also just discovered that as a writer, you have a different brain activity schedule. I personally like writing until 4 a.m. and sleeping in until noon. If you have the freedom, go with the flow and write when your brain wants to. Since you're already disciplined with DOING the work, does it matter as much what time of the day you do it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Auntie Gail10/7/10 11:50 AM

    As a long-time insomniac & creative person I know what you're talking about. Suggestions: Cut down on stimulants and vigorous exercise an hour or so before bed. Like Jennifer H. I write down racing thoughts that keep me from sleep & that helps but that may take an hour or more so I get started as soon as I recognize what's happening. I use stream of consciousness writing. Echoing Brietta, creative expression isn't always in synch with 9-5. My best creative hours are around 7 p.m. to 4 a.m., which doesn't usually fit in with rest of the world's schedule. You enjoy those hours so perhaps use them while you can & when it gets closer to CreComm time try to adjust your circadian rhythm in part by using the relaxing bedtime routine others suggested so the hour changes might not hit you quite as hard. Google circadian rhythm for more info. Sometimes it helps. And listen to your mom re so much coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amanda's Mom ( and Gail's sister)11/7/10 6:19 PM

    Thanks Gail (re: coffee intake)!

    ReplyDelete