July 15, 2010

The Coconut

WARNING: There are a few images of alcoholic beverages in this post. It's just coconut milk and a bit of vodka, and really is good, clean fun, but if that kind of thing bothers you, go to the next post...

Last weekend, I was invited to my friend Kristen’s cabin in Lake of the Woods. My brother agreed to take me grocery shopping to prepare, and we wandered around Superstore for an hour gathering everything I needed. We were finishing our excursion in the produce section when I turned around to see my brother lovingly handling an interesting item.

A coconut.

He held it up to his head and shook it, listening to the milk slosh around inside. I laughed, quite hard, and asked him what he was doing. He said that he wondered how exactly one broke into a coconut effectively, and a light bulb went on above my head.

The guys that Kristen and I hang with are eccentric, to say the least, and I thought they would get a kick out of trying to open the thing. I bought it, and ceremoniously presented it to them when we arrived at the cabin. Later that night, after a few drinks, they decided it was necessary to break it open.

After they broke into the coconut, a discussion began about what to do with the milk. I don’t know whose idea it was, but before I knew it, Kristen’s fiancee Tyler was preparing vodka and coconut milk shots. It’s summer, and we were on vacation, so we all agreed to try the drink. (Minus Rob, who just wanted the coconut milk. Looking back, I think he was the smart one in this scenario).


I can now say with wholehearted certainty that coconut/vodka shots are disgusting. The inside of the coconut didn’t taste that great either.

Ah, the things we do for fun.

2 comments:

  1. Amanda's Mom15/7/10 8:27 AM

    Your brother has forgotten his experience with a coconut a nubme rof years ago. I immortalized it in a scrapbook layout for him. Ask to see it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How Monty Pythonesque of you!

    ReplyDelete