July 30, 2010

Channelling Edith

I saw Inception last weekend, and got the song Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien stuck in my head. It’s a famous Edith Piaf song that’s repeated frequently in the film. By the time I left the theatre, I couldn’t get it out of my head.

Earlier this summer, I tried to learn the words – in French – to La Vie En Rose, another famous Edith Piaf song. I took voice lessons for years, and learned to sing in French, so I didn’t think it would be that difficult a task. Well, it was, and I gave up after a week.

Hearing another Piaf song made me determined to learn how to sing something in French this summer. I spent half a day on YouTube, with the lyrics to Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien, working on the song. After awhile, I thought I was getting pretty good.

This morning, I tried to sing the song while taking a shower.

I guess my voice got a little loud, because after a few minutes I heard my next door neighbour banging furiously on the wall that separates our bathrooms. I stopped, embarrassed, waited a moment, and then shouted “sorry.”

I don’t know what I was expecting in return. Maybe a “thank-you,” or “ok, then.” Nope. After a few moments, I could hear my neighbour laugh. Then, very sarcastically, he yelled back: “your French accent sucks ass.”

Ouch. Thanks a lot, jerk face.

Self-esteem destroyed.

Here are the lyrics anyway. Lets see if YOU can do better...

Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien

Non, rien de rien, Non, je ne regrette rien
Ni le bien qu'on m'a fait, Ni le mal
Tout ca m'est bien egal
Non, rien de rien, Non, je ne regrette rien
C'est paye, balaye, oublie, Je me fous du passe

Avec mes Souvenirs, J'ai allume le feu
Mes shagrins, Mes plaisirs,
Je n'ai plus besoin d'eux
Balaye les amours avec leurs tremolos
Balaye pour toujours
Je reparas a zero

Non, rien de rien, Non, je ne regrette rien
Ni le bien qu'on m'a fait, Ni le mal
Tout ca m'est bien egal
Non, rien de rien, Non, je ne regrette rien
Car ma vie, Car me joies
Aujourd'hui ca commence avec toi

Finis!

3 comments:

  1. This is the first time I've heard anyone say they got an Edith Piaf song stuck in his or her head.

    Maybe the pounding on the wall was applause!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a jerk! I'm sure your singing was beautiful - he just doesn't know a good thing when he hears it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda's Mom30/7/10 11:37 AM

    You gave me my laugh of the day - thanks!

    ReplyDelete