July 5, 2010

A birthday shout out

Imagine my surprise when a delivery man showed up at my doorstep this morning and gave me the most gorgeous, well-stocked basket I have ever seen. It included an array of fruit, cheese, tea, chocolate, and cookies, with a Happy Birthday balloon peeking out the side. I signed for the basket, thanked the delivery man, and retreated into air-conditioned comfort where I could dissect the gift and start eating.

I forgot to mention this, but it is my birthday today.

In Calgary (where I grew up) lives a girl named Allison Groeneveld. To me, she's simply referred to as Allie, or "A." We've been friends since we could walk, and have acquired enough memories in the years we've known each other to last a lifetime. Sometimes we go months without talking to each other, but that doesn't matter. We know that we will be in each other's lives forever, which is very comforting.
It was Allie who sent me the lovely birthday basket. It's touching to receive a gift from someone who lives two provinces away, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't shed a tear or two. It is always wonderful to know that someone far away is thinking of you, and hopefully I'll come up with something equally as good for her birthday!

Here's a picture of my awesome present... :)

1 comment:

  1. How incredibly thoughtful! That's quite the friend you have there.

    ReplyDelete