July 19, 2010

I need closure

Usually, I lose interest in television shows after a few seasons. I rarely watch TV, and trying to be near one at a specific time every week has never worked for me.

With that being said, I always, always need to know how television shows that I used to watch end. Even though I have lost interest, it’s important to find out how the series concluded. Which characters end up together? Does anyone die? Are there surprise twists that take everyone by surprise? For me, it’s very important to have these questions answered. It’s like finishing a book. I need to know how the conflict is resolved, and I never leave a book partially read.

In my apartment, I don’t have cable. This was a conscious decision that Jeff and I made, for a few reasons. 1) We don’t watch enough television to justify spending money on cable, and 2) there’s always the possibility that if we have it, we will start using it too much.

I’m fine without television, for the most part.

This summer, however, I actually have time to catch up on the shows that I missed the series finales of. It started with Season Nine of Friends, and extended to the tenth and final season of Friends. Next, I bought the last two seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I loved that show when I was younger, but like most shows, I lost interest.

I plan to rent and/or buy all three seasons of Roswell next, just because I feel like watching it all over again. Remember that show? It was on from 1999-2002, and the cast included Katherine Heigl and Emilie de Ravin (Claire from Lost).

I will admit that each of the shows were better the first time I watched them, when I was younger. I guess that’s just part of growing up. Things usually aren’t as good the second time around, but at least I’ll know how each series ends. Who knows if I’ll ever have another opportunity to sit around and watch episode after episode of Friends or Roswell. This might be my only chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment