July 6, 2010

Films take on new meaning

The main problem with writing a book that takes place in a time when I wasn’t alive is this: I don’t have firsthand experience about what life was really like.

I don’t know what people wore, how they spoke, or how they acted. The first story in my book takes place in 1919, the last in 1994, so I have been relying on second-hand accounts, articles, and photographs for information.

Last month, however, I discovered a different, much more efficient way to research the past.

Films.

It all started with The Untouchables. The story I was working on at the time took place primarily in Chicago in the 1930s. I had just visited Chicago, so I was familiar with many of the sights, but I wanted to ensure I had everything exactly right. I also wanted to ensure I wrote about the gangster attitudes and mannerisms properly. So, I rented The Untouchables and watched it 10 times while taking notes.

Next, I watched My Best Friend’s Wedding, to analyze the interior of Chicago’s Union Station. The station became a major setting in my story, so I wanted to describe it correctly. I will admit that the film wasn’t as good as I remembered it to be, but the fact that it was filmed in Chicago made it worth watching. The part when they were on the river cruise was especially helpful, because when I took the same cruise it was much too cold to pay attention to anything. I hid below-deck and drank Baileys and coffee.

I watched Goodfellas next, which provided additional gangster information. It was also quite entertaining, and I have to admit that I really like Ray Liotta. Did you know that Goodfellas won Joe Pesci an Academy Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role? It was nominated for six, and is still known as one of the best films ever made. There were also over 300 f-bombs, in case you were curious.

I finished my gangster-research kick with Scarface, because Al Pacino modelled part of his character Tony Montana after Al Capone. And, one of Capone’s nicknames was "Scarface," so the film seemed fairly relevant and important to watch. Scarface is also known as one of the best films ever made, like Goodfellas (but, don’t even ask about the f-bombs in this one...)

I’ve really watched some important films lately! The things I do for research...

After exhausting my gangster resources and finishing the story, I started watching old romance films. Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Roman Holiday, and Sabrina completed my research on male and female dress in the fifties and sixties, and also provided insight about dating and relationships during that time. The Da Vinci Code and From Paris with Love provided some needed information about the layout of Paris, which is a huge part of my sixth story. I was there last summer, and know my way around fairly well, but I wasn’t exactly taking notes as I wandered the streets.

Now, I’m engrossed in my next story, and am already looking at what films I will watch to assist with its completion. The story will be the first one in my book, and takes place in 1919. I’ve already watched Titanic, because the characters came to Canada from England by boat, but I’m unsure of what to watch next.

It’s funny that watching films is actually helping my creative process. I take the content at face value and don’t put stock in the dialogue, but focus my efforts instead on the scenery, clothing, and filming locations. A lot of time, money, and energy are dedicated to ensuring that period films are historically accurate, so I’m confident that the notes I’m taking are mostly correct.
This system might not be for everyone, and it does have a tendency to distract on occasion, but I really believe that I am much further in my writing than I would have been if I hadn’t started using films as a form of research.

Try it out. See if it works for you.

NOTE: While I believe that watching films is great for research, it shouldn’t be the only method used. You should still go to the library and/or consult the local archives. Film-watching is one method, but I utilize many others on a daily basis. I just wanted to clear that up, in case anyone thinks that I’m spending my entire summer sitting on a couch watching television. :)

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun research! Though I've always struggled with gangster films - I generally don't like them so I might not have enjoyed that part as much. Though, to be fair, I haven't seen any of the gangster films you listed! I'm most interested in The Untouchables, I think...

    Let me know what other movies you need to watch for your IPP, and I'll watch'em with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are lots of films that work better as "research" than "entertainment."

    I once asked for the film, "Riel" at Movie Village. The clerk's response: "How do you spell it?"

    Nooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda Hope7/7/10 2:27 PM

    Ouch. Way to be an informed Manitoban.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your well-rounded approach to character/setting research. I am extremely interested in the sensory experiences of people from past eras. (I am currently reading a book called Hubbub: Filth Noise and Stench in England, haha). I think by understanding what they saw, heard, tasted, touched, wore, we can get as close as possible to understanding their lives and worldviews. I like to focus on the senses because it's a way we can relate to people separated by centuries or more-- we may not be able to truly understand their views on gender, religion, etc, but everyone can understand the discomfort of binding clothing, the smell of woodsmoke, the taste of wine.

    I've always wanted to write a historical fiction novel (one day...) and if I did I would set it in 1850's fur trade era in what would become Manitoba. This is because my three years as a historical interpreter at Lower Fort Garry has given me a real-life experience about as close as I can get to those people, which is invaluable.

    Watch movies, read, travel, take in the world around you-- sounds like you're on the right track!! Can't wait to read your stuff.

    ReplyDelete