August 2, 2010

Surprising (and simple) ways to cut calories

I usually pay attention to what I eat, but it’s become much more difficult to be healthy since I’ve moved out. Fruits and vegetables aren’t the cheapest things to purchase, and having fresh, usable produce on hand at all times means visiting the grocery store every few days.

There was an article in Chatelaine magazine awhile ago that caught my eye. It discussed many ways to cut up to 500 calories a day. I’ve included some of my favourite...
  • Save 50 calories by eating an actual orange instead of drinking glass of orange juice.
  • Save 50 calories by using light mayonnaise instead of full-fat on a sandwich.
  • Save 75 calories by mixing salad dressing with water.
  • Save 100 calories by thickening cream soups with skim milk instead of cream or 2% milk.
  • Save 200 calories by eating a grilled chicken burger at fast food restaurants.
  • Save 125 calories by sautéing vegetables in broth or wine as opposed to oil.
  • Save 75 calories by eating a frozen pudding cup instead of ice cream.
  • Save 250 calories by eating biscotti instead of a muffin. Just don’t eat one completely covered in chocolate!

I hope some of these tips are helpful. I’m going to try the sautéing tip tonight, and I think I’ll use wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment