August 4, 2010

Infiltrating the Manitoba Writers' Guild

I have always wanted to be a writer. This summer, I actually am playing the part of a writer, so it made sense to join an organization for writers. Before school ended in April, I paid $25 to become a member of the Manitoba Writers’ Guild, and yesterday, my membership card arrived in the mail.

There are a few perks, of course, but the real reason why I became a member was so I could gradually unite myself with other writers. A published, accomplished author can provide insight and support like no one else. They know what it is like to deal with writers block, tension headaches, and problematic character development. They don’t think that it’s stupid to spend an entire day deciding between first or third person. And, they will spend hours discussing outlines and plot points.

This, of course, is all speculation. I have never been fortunate enough to sit down and have a detailed conversation with a published author. My goal is to do so – now that I have some sort of access to them – but who knows if I’ll ever actually get the conversation I desire.

I’m excited to be a Guild member, because it’s something else to cross off the quickly-expanding IPP checklist. Now I just need to get myself invited to some events so I can schmooze my way to the top!

2 comments: