August 20, 2010

Florence and a naked man

I didn’t like Florence.

Yes, I know, for many people it was one of the highlights of Italy, but not for me. It was hot, it was muggy, I was sun burnt, and there was a sanitation strike at the time. I literally waded through garbage as I picked my way cautiously down narrow, graffiti-laden streets in search of something impressive.

Maybe the fact that I had just spent two days in Rome, which was preceded by Venice, had something to do with my foul mood. Regardless, my one day spent in Florence was enough for a lifetime. We visited the Duomo di Firenze – the famous cathedral in Florence – and my first impression was “I’ve had better.” Sure, it was pretty, but nothing to write home about. Next, we wandered around a few squares, which were cute and covered with the usual tourist items. The only difference was that leather was the most common item that could be purchased.

The highlight of my day in Florence was a visit to the Academy Gallery to see Michelangelo’s David. Originally, the sculpture was placed in the Piazza della Signoria, but it was moved indoors in 1872. This was smart, because the last thing anyone wants is to see the world’s most famous sculpture vandalized. I spent an hour wandering around David, taking in every detail, and it was an amazing experience.

Now, I can actually say I've seen the naked man up close and in person.

(This was the alleyway we stood in to wait to enter the museum. The walls were covered with graffiti, and it looked like someones nightmare.)
I wrote a poem about my experience in Florence, and it’s hilarious. Unfortunately, I’m currently trying to get it – along with a collection of other Europe poems – published. So, I can’t post it here. I will give you the first few lines, and hopefully that will spark some interest. If you’re curious, and want to read the whole poem, I’ll send it to you.

Firenze

I’m surrounded by garbage.
I didn’t discover there was a sanitation strike until after my opinion of the city had been soiled.
It’s hot and muggy.
The man standing in front of me obviously hasn’t showered in a very long time.

But then again, that could be me who smells.

This is Europe, and personal hygiene goes out the window after about three days of travel.
A standard European bathroom leaves much to desired, and absolutely everything in the room is soaking wet after each attempt with the handheld shower wand.

Take a swim in a river. Or wait for rain. Trust me, it’s easier.

I read the entire poem at an Aqua Books Open Mic Night in July, and my audience was very receptive. They loved the part when I explained why David is proportioned incorrectly, but if you want to know why, you’ll have to read the poem.
I forgot to mention the awesome karaoke night my fellow Contiki travellers and I enjoyed. We found a dingy dive in the basement of some historic building, but it was one of the most elaborate karaoke setups I've ever seen. There was a huge stage for the performers, big screen televisions on every wall, and an abundance of really good of alcohol. It was a great night, and a great way to end a not-so-epic day in Florence.
I would visit Florence again if it was part of another, larger trip, but not if it was the featured attraction. I apologize to any Florence-lovers out there, but this was my experience and I tell the whole truth on my blog.
Stick around for detailed accounts of my excursions in Berlin, Rome, and Paris, as well as an account of how I almost died of heat stroke in Greece. :)

4 comments:

  1. I give up on trying to format this damn thing. Every time I want to add pictures, it goes nuts. Sorry, and I hope you can still read it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely loved Florence! We were there during a Folkarama-type festival and ate the most delicious argentinian meal with some awesome montreal-ians.

    Had I been there during a sanitation strike I may have the same sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew - when I read the headline I thought you hated Florence Henderson!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda's Mom24/8/10 8:44 AM

    Who could ever hate Mrs. Brady?!

    ReplyDelete