August 18, 2010

Music sets the mood

Sometimes, a writer must work on a piece they are not particularly interested in. This could be an assignment from an editor, a boring press release, or a section of a story or novel. Deadlines are often non-negotiable, and whether one likes it or not, the job must be finished.

As I wrote my book this summer, I was struggling with certain aspects. In one scene specifically, I needed to write about a romance that ended sadly. I am currently in a happy, loving relationship, so it was difficult to conjure memories of misery when I’m so content. But, the show must go on, and I needed to figure out a way to place myself in the breakup mindset without actually going through a breakup.

Enter music.

To make myself feel depressed and lonely, I listened to the saddest songs imaginable on a very long and painful loop. This tactic worked surprisingly well, and I was quickly able to finish the scene in my story.

Below I have included YouTube videos of some of the songs I listened to. If you need any sort of depressing inspiration, this part of the post will be most helpful to you. If not, maybe bypass the videos and read one of my happier blogs. That’s all!









1 comment:

  1. The first four are among my favourite "sad" songs! I always listen to "With or Without You" when I need a good cry.

    ReplyDelete