August 1, 2010

English novel prompts tea party

Recently, I’ve started reading books by John Harvey. He’s pretty much the UK’s version of John Grisham or Jonathan Kellerman, and his books are fantastic if you’re looking for something in the “whodunit” genre.

The only problem with Harvey’s books it that everyone is always drinking tea. Every chapter, on almost every page, the characters are downing enough English Breakfast, Earl Grey, and Orange Pekoe to fuel a small army.

This probably isn’t an issue for most people, but the more I read about tea, the more I want tea. English Breakfast especially is a guilty pleasure of mine, and in the winter I drink it every single day. Halfway through the book I couldn’t stand the craving anymore, so earlier yesterday evening I made a very strong pot of my favourite tea.

And, I thought it would be fun to do it with all the accessories.

The great thing about moving out for the first time is that people are more than willing to give you stuff to help you get on your feet. In my case, I acquired enough kitchen items to fill three households. Included in the many boxes I unpacked were teapot, tea tray, cup and saucer collection, and crystal milk and sugar holders.

If I was going to make tea, I was going to do it in the proper English style.

My boyfriend was a good sport, but I don’t think he appreciated the gesture. Oh well, I tried.

1 comment: