August 29, 2010

About me

I’ve been posting to this blog for almost a year now, yet I’ve never really included anything basic about myself. Well, there’s no time like the present, so here are a few random facts about me...

My favourite colour is blue.

Ever since I was young, blue has always had a calming effect on me. It reminds me of the ocean, the sky, and everything pretty in general.

I don’t like flowers.

This might sound strange, but it’s true. I do occasionally enjoy getting flowers from people, but not anything I actually have to maintain. I prefer a book as a present...or, more recently, a gift certificate to Superstore so I can buy food.

Half the time I hate my height and half the time I love it.

Everyone in my family is tall (except my mother). Chris – my brother - is probably about 6’3” or 6’4”. My dad is 6’2”. I last measured in at just under 5’10”, which is a bit tall for a girl, in my opinion.

When I’m surrounded by short people, being tall is quite frustrating. But, when surrounded by tall people, I feel at home. It’s just one of those things that I’ll never be content with.

High-heeled shoes are my nemesis.

This ties into the height thing. I refused to wear heels when I was growing up, because they made me taller than every single guy. Now, I have serious issues walking in them. I did buy a few pairs this summer, and I’m determined to learn, but I have a long way to go before I cease to worry about falling on my face.

I play the piano.

It’s been an off and on struggle for a number of years, but the piano is something that has always filled me with a sense of joy. Music is a truly beautiful thing, and nothing can compare to it.

I collect books.

I’ve never actually counted how many I have – because I hate math – but I have a lot of books. History books, classic novels, interesting cultural specimens, everything. Some of my favourite books are the Post Secret series by Frank Warren and Vietnam Zippos.

Travel is essential to a happy life.

No place is off limits, and I will go absolutely anywhere once. This includes weekend getaways to Lake of the Woods, or more exotic locations like Europe. I also love to write about where I travel, a fact that my long-term readers will already be aware of. So far, I’ve pegged 63 cities in 13 countries on Facebook, which is a fair accomplishment for a 24-year-old if you ask me.

While interested in exotic cuisine, I’m allergic to pretty much everything.

I discovered a few years ago that I have a variety of serious allergies, many of which prevent me from being able to try new and interesting foods. Some of the more serious allergies include soy, tofu, and legumes like brown beans. I have to carry an eppy pen everywhere, and it’s really uncomfortable at house parties when I have to refuse trying appetizers because I don’t know what’s in them.

I love to be active, but I’m not very sporty.

A number of years ago, my dad and I got a treadmill. (Well, dad bought it and I tested it for structural integrity, but I consider it to be a joint effort because we’re the only two people in the family who really use it.)

We both started running, and tallied our monthly miles and times on a chart on the wall. Then, dad would enter the results into a spreadsheet that he would print out and display. If you don’t know my dad or me, this might sound odd, but we’re both very, very competitive. We wouldn’t admit it at the time, but we were always competing against each other. (But, naturally, I always won).

Then I moved out, and I try to either run or walk outside every day.

But my boyfriend is a very sporty guy, and over the years I have picked up some of his outdoor activities. Our favourites are biking, hiking, canoeing, and snowboarding. I’m not the greatest at snowboarding, but I give it my all. If I’m outside, moving around, I’m happy.

I’m addicted to school supplies.

This is a problem that has followed and taunted me for years. Even though I am a 24-year-old post-secondary student, I still want the pencil case with the hidden compartments. I always stop to look at the stacks of colourful journals, despite the fact that I write using a computer.

And pens. Don’t even talk to me about pens. I have a serious, serious problem when it comes to purchasing pens, and I love each and every single one so damn much.

Sometimes I get a little obsessive with the apartment cleaning.

I can’t write if I’m surrounded by clutter. The problem is that our apartment normally is cluttered, so I spend time each morning trying to find places for miscellaneous items. This will stop when school starts, and I don’t even want to think about what our apartment will look like then.

I want to talk to my grandparents on my mom's side again.

They both have died – my grandpa when I was only a little girl – but some irrational part of my mind keeps telling me that someday, somewhere, I might reunite with both of them, sit down, and have the greatest conversation. Nothing would be cooler than sitting down with my grandpa, drinking some beer, and listening while he tells me about his life. And my grandma would probably fall in love with my boyfriend instantly, which would be amazing to see.

My little brother and I actually get along.

I guess I shouldn’t really say “little” anymore, because he is 21 years old. But, to me, he’ll always be my younger sibling. Surprisingly, we have always gotten along, more or less. After my family moved to Winnipeg, we became incredibly close. Our bond has yet to be broken.

I ramble.

Initially, I only meant to write a few things about myself. I’m currently sitting at 1,020 words, so I think I’ll sign off for now. (It’s a lot easier to talk about yourself than I realized...)

I hope you learned something new...

Sayonara for now.

1 comment:

  1. I liked reading this! I may have to borrow your idea for a future blog entry. I wish to one day travel the way you have because right now much of my travel has been limited to Canada.

    I'm not a high heel fan either. I'm not as tall as you are, but I have a serious beef with uncomfortable shoes, and most high heels are uncomfortable to me. I'm so happy when I'm in runners or sandals or my comfy winter boots.

    ReplyDelete