September 15, 2009

Teenagers = Blargh!!

This morning, I had an interesting experience on the bus. It was one of the last Whyte Ridge buses of the morning, and was unusually packed. I guess the high school kids figured out this bus was somehow superior to the bus most other high school students were taking, but that is not the issue. What IS the issue is that I was almost crushed by the front door.

The high school kids decided to congregate right at the FRONT of the bus, and there was not enough room for all of them to sit. I waited for a moment--after untangling myself from the almost fatal door situation--in hopes the kids would realize they were blocking the way. Nope, didn't happen. I waited about a minute (which I feel was a completely adequate amount of time), and then tapped one of the boys on the shoulder. He turned around, looked at me, and said "yeah?"

I politely asked him if he and his friends could move down or move over, which I fully believe I was in my right to do. He just stared at me. Apparently I was speaking French. So, ever so POLITELY, I shoved by him and worked my way through the rest of the pack of kids to the back of the bus. I received a glare from the boy, and everyone else in the group continually stared at me until the bus reached the high school.

I was thinking, at that moment, what i'm sure many people think when faced with a rude teenager situation: "those darn kids." I KNOW I was never like that at their age.

Throughout the day, I began to ponder my eventful bus ride. WAS I ever a teenager like that? I remember being the group of loud ones on the C-Train in Calgary, coming home from work. And I guess I have been guilty of blocking the way on buses a few times when I was younger. Ok, ok, and I may have been rude to someone on a bus... possibly. But that doesn't mean I was a stereotypical teenager, does it?

On the bus ride home, I had another lovely close encounter with the high school kids. Same thing. They don't get it. But at least I had a seat. Having nothing else to do at that particular moment, I began playing back my teenage years. I remember when we forced my friend, Bryan, into a manhole under the road. We locked him in it, and ran away giggling. The plan was to wait a few minutes, then go back and get him out. How were we supposed to know a car would park on top of the manhole, trapping him for an hour? In hindsight, that was pretty juvenile.

The moral of the story is that i've decided to cut the high school kids a bit of slack. The above examples are only a few of the many annoying and immature things I did as a teenager. I managed to grow up eventually, so i'll let kids be kids and not judge. Tomorrow on the bus I wont let it get to me, as long as I am not almost crushed by the door again. But that doesn't mean I wont roll my eyes...

6 comments:

  1. You were certainly NOT like that as a teenager. Your mother raised you right and besides you are just a sweet girl! (Sandi Redford)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes adults are just as bad as teens.
    People just seem to be scared about going to the back of the bus or sitting next to a stranger!
    If the bus is packed, please make room!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly! No one wants to sit in a strangers lap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Mother16/9/09 8:59 AM

    You kids did THAT to Bryan? The things I'm finding out through this blog....I wonder what else will I'll discover about your teen years....?

    ReplyDelete
  5. In time, you will look back on this and smile!
    the good, the bad, and the stupid! I'ts all part of the journey!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh the teenage years. . .

    Here's one of my favorite moments of Bus Driver VS rowdy teenage boys.

    My friend and I were coming back from a trip to the mall, talking quietly, minding our own business, when about 4 teenage guys got on the bus, went right to the back, and started punching eachother, screaming, cursing, throwing eachother into empty seats and slamming the windows.

    What was going through their minds, Lord only knows. However, I have never seen an angrier bus driver than the one I saw that day.

    Pulling up his socks and rising to his full height, he let those guys have it, and then told them to get the heck off his bus. The boys didnt even apologise, but left not saying much. I think they were in shock.

    After the back door swung closed, the bus driver shook his head and headed back to his seat.

    My friend and I sat in dead silence the rest of the way home, silently applauding his actions in our heads, but too terrified to break this new silence.

    Bus Driver 1, Rowdy teen boys 0

    ReplyDelete