September 22, 2009

Anger Management 101

How NOT to behave like a child when faced with a stressful situation...

Last night, something happened. It's slightly embarrassing, and I wouldn't normally say anything. But, I know at least a few of my CreComm classmates will read this blog, and they can probably relate. I was having serious computer difficulties, and my browser window crashed twice. Being a semi-mature individual, I did what many people do when faced with frustrating technical problems. I had a temper tantrum.

When technology works for me, it's fabulous. I can accomplish a task quickly, and move on. On the other hand, when all I need to do is print a document, and things aren't working, I get mad. Very, very mad.

I am one of those instant gratification kinds of people. When I need something to work, I need it to work NOW. I don't have time to wait, reboot, and repeat. When faced with a long to-do list and not enough hours in the day, it's easy to become frustrated quickly. Especially when the first task on that list involved a computer that is intent on giving me trouble. Therefore, my troubles began...

As the computer screen froze, I growled at it unattractively. When that didn't work, I started swearing. I guess my computer took the profanity personally, because after that, all I got was the black screen of death. Therefore, I did the most productive thing I could think of at that moment. I threw my binder -- with all my school work -- down the stairs.

Those of you who have thrown a binder in anger are fully aware of what happened next. Paper went flying everywhere. In addition to my frustration of wasting time with computer issues, I now found myself sitting on the floor collecting and reorganizing the scattered papers. As I sat there organizing, I started laughing at how ridiculous I must look. There HAS TO be a better way to deal with anger...

The following is a list of anger management techniques I looked up after my computer and I resolved our difference of opinion. You may laugh, but next time i'm going to try breathing instead of throwing things. It might just work...
  • Breathe deeply, from your diaphragm (breathing from your chest won't help)
  • Slowly repeat a calming word as you breathe (I think that "banana" or "onomatopoeia" might work for me!)
  • Visualize a relaxing experience, using a memory or your imagination
  • Stretch or perform slow yoga exercises
  • Remove yourself from the scene until you can calmly return
  • Try to look for the positives in the situation

6 comments:

  1. I feel your pain....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! good blog! I for sure know where you're coming from. When i get frustrated i do the throwing and swearing, but just add in angry crying! Yes, I'm a frustrated crier! It's like you can't control it! Although the anger management tips will for sure help! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really feel for you! I've been known to yell at my printer when it's being "difficult" when I'm trying to print out an assignment (already a stressful experience 'cause I'm wondering if I've done a good enough job on it). And like Melissa, I'm an angry crier as well. When I get frustrated or overwhelmed I tend to breakdown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amanda ..... I have not read anything on your site ... rather just trying my FIRST attempt at blogging.

    Let me (or your Mum)know if you receive this.

    Love Cousin Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I myself prefer to take my deep breath after the yelling and swearing, I call it venting which can be a good thing !! there, that's the positive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I fear I may start doing this in Electronic Publishing class.

    ReplyDelete