September 19, 2009

Starry, Starry Night!

Melanie -- one of my instructors -- suggested I check out the following video. It is a slide show of Vincent Van Gogh's paintings, and runs to the song "Vincent" by Don McLean. It was created for the art students at Mississippi State Hospital, a psychiatric institution. I think that was a lovely gesture, considering Van Gogh himself was an artist struggling with his sanity. I saw this video for the first time about a year ago, and forgot it existed, so thanks Melanie!



This summer, when I went to Europe, I was finally able to see some of Van Gogh's paintings in person. The first painting I saw was "Sunflowers," at the National Gallery in London. It was fabulous! My brother, Chris, tried to take pictures (which were strictly forbidden), while I just stood there and stared. I think I was the brush strokes that got me, and how defined they are. I stood in front of that first painting for about 20 minutes, until Chris had to force me out of there!

Next, we visited the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam. In the collection there was over 300 paintings, drawings, and sketches. I wont go into detail about my experiences THERE, but lets just say there were a few tears!

The last museum I visited with Van Gogh paintings was the Musee D'Orsay in Paris. If you ever have a chance to go to Paris, this museum is a MUST DO. It was constructed in an old train station, and has such features as catwalks, interesting architecture, elevated and raised platforms and randomly arranged rooms. Musee D'Ordsay houses some of the worlds most famous paintings, including Monet, Manet, Toulouse-Lautrec, and of course, Van Gogh. We spent about 5 hours in this museum, and I fell in love with my surroundings. Next time we return, I plan to spend a whole day there, if not two!

I didn't get to see my favourite painting, the famous "Starry Night," but I was able to see "Starry Night on the Rhine," my second favourite. My family has a copy of this painting in our living room, and I think it is absolutely beautiful!

9 comments:

  1. I've always thought there are 2 kinds of people - those that can enjoy and appreciate fine art, and those that prefer monster truck shows and wrestling. It was wonderful to hear how you were actually moved to tears by Van Gogh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a bit jealous that you got to see so much of Van Gogh's work in person. ;) It sounds like a WONDERFUL experience! I dream of going to the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam, it sounds like a great experience for you. It is a very powerful feeling, when you are moved to tears by art. :) I've always loved it.

    That museum in Paris sounds great. I've only ever really heard of the Louvre in terms of French museums, did you get a chance to make it there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Jenn, I went to the Louvre twice actually. I love art, but overall, the art there didn't really interest me. I saw the Mona Lisa and Venus de Milo, but the museum is so big and crowded that it's difficult to appreciate much else.

    In response to Jenn AND Jon, it's nice to know that other people can appreciate art like I do. I think that art is such a beautiful expression of creativity. I always try to picture what the artist was thinking about while painting/ sculpting each piece...

    Thanks guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda's mom20/9/09 9:04 PM

    I was lucky enough to accompany Amanda and her brother, Chris, on their exploration of museums in Paris this summer. I shook my head in wonder as I gazed at the individual brush strokes that made up "Starry Night on the Rhone" - how can someone DO that?! I repeated to myself many, many times as we walked through the Museums "I am in Paris and I am in the (insert name of famous museum here) and I am actually looking at (insert name of artwork here)," to help me realize that I was actually seeing these famous works of art IN PERSON!

    I agree with Amanda - the Musee d'Orsay was hands down my favorite over the Louvre. The latter was way to crowded and busy - next to impossible to actually study a piece of work. the former was less crowded and so one could stand and stare at a piece for as long as one wanted - try THAT at the Louvre with the Mona Lisa! The sweaty mass of humanity that I was pressed up close and personal with while trying to see good ole Mona was not an experience I ever wish to repeat!

    Another interesting (!?) exhibition in the Musee d'Orsay was of furniture - yes, furniture. There were some wild pieces - chairs with only one leg on the floor and the rest attached to a wall; huge desk (I had a bad case of desk envy...); incredible armoires and the list goes on....

    Amanda, I do hope you get to Amsterdam again and get to see your #1 favorite "Starry Night" - I know you'll have another 'moment' and break into tears yet again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Post! I loved the video!

    However, Starry Night is not in Amsterdam ! I'ts at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City!I Love NYC!
    But next time your here! you can check out my own version painted by Jeremy in grade school as an art project many years ago! it's framed and hanging in the hallway!!
    I wish I was there, would have loved to see all the great art works and furniture too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Harriet, sounds like you need to make a trip to Paris to see the museums. I admit, I thought of you as I viewed all the furniture and wall art.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay Sue sounds like an invitation !!
    The two or three of us ( oh what trouble!)I mean fun we'll have. hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am an almost 70 year old friend of your mothers and was thrilled to see your reaction to Van Gogh. In 1960 I was taking a history of art course at the U fo M and one of our assignments was to visit the Van Gogh exhibit at our very own art gallery. We were to choose 3 of his paintings and write about the impact they had on us. I chose Starry Starry Night, The Sunflowers and The Old Work Boots. I spent hours sitting on the art gallery floor, just staring in wonder. As I journalled, I cried. I journalled some more, and I cried some more. It was probably one of the most profound moments of my univdersity experience. Thanks you, Amanda, for bringing back these memories.

    ReplyDelete