September 23, 2009

Oh, Elizabeth...

HOW I'VE MISSED YOU!

A few of my classmates have mentioned that I tend to be quite long winded with my blogs, so I am making a conscious effort this evening to write a shorter one. Last night, my boyfriend and I met at the University of Manitoba to study. We are both students, but attend different schools. This means we have only limited opportunities to spend time together, and study sessions are currently one of our only options. I used to be a student at the U of M, so I was comfortable going there to work.

We met outside the Elizabeth Dafoe Library, and went inside to find a place to sit. We worked for about an hour, at which time I decided I needed a break. Instead of leaving the library, I decided to walk through the rows of books on each of the three levels. It only took a moment to remember how much I love it there.

I don't know for sure if it's the smell of the books, the sounds of students quietly studying, or the feeling of intellectual energy that attracts me to this particular library. Most likely, it's a combination of all of the above. But as I walked around, I was instantly relaxed and content. I love to read, and I spent a lot of time in libraries when I was a child. There is something comforting in being surrounded by so many authors.

I returned to my seat and continued to study, but with a renewed sense of appreciation for Elizabeth Dafoe Library. If you find a quiet corner, it truly is a magical place to spend an evening, and is something I recommend to everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Way back when, when I was in university and then college, study dates in the school library were the only time that my then-boyfriend and now-husband could spend some time together. We'd study for awhile, then break for dinner. After dinner I would go back to studying while he would then go 'out with the boys'. Guess I was the more studious of the two of us! Your blog brought me back, to a time in my life that I really enjoyed. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, my significant other and I met in University as well and even though I go to a completely different campus now and she no longer attends the University of Winnipeg, she still says how she wishes we could have lunch together there like we did when we first met. Memories indeed.

    (Congrats on the short blog, by the way!)

    ReplyDelete