June 25, 2010

Things I've learned about writing so far...

  • A pot of coffee gives me strength to accomplish literary miracles.
  • Writing comes in waves. It's impossible to predict when a moment of genius will appear, so don't even try.
  • Write it fast the first time, and save editing for later. It’s all about getting words on the page, and the unnecessary stuff can be cut out afterwards.
  • Sometimes, the words suck. Save them, because they might cease to suck at a later time.
  • Read books if you're writing a book.
  • Inspiration is everywhere.
  • Friends and family make fantastic characters. Just change their names if it might pose a problem later.
  • Constant blogging will keep creative energy flowing.
  • A little Hunter S. Thompson isn't a bad thing.

And here's an update on what I've accomplished this summer...

  • Books read: 35
  • Completed IPP stories: 2.5
  • Posted blogs: 36
  • Cabin weekends: 2
  • Dinner's cooked: 10
  • Happiness level: 9/10

8 comments:

  1. Amanda's Mom28/6/10 9:19 AM

    I have a couple more paperbacks for you, Amanda.

    Yes, 35 books. It is possible. I just read two paperbacks this weekend myself. Fast reading runs in the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me envy your life! Good summer so far -- especially with the reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda Hope28/6/10 11:08 AM

    Yes, 35 books! I've always been a fast reader, like my mom said. I read two more this weekend, so now I'm at 37. I think i'll reach my goal of 50 by the end of summer.

    It's been nice reading and writing this summer, and I'm going to be so sad when it's over!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda's Mom28/6/10 1:06 PM

    Those airport signs make no sense to me at all. In the first one, the person could be hailing a cab. The second I interpret to mean go in this direction if you are departing on a flight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda's Mom29/6/10 8:33 AM

    Sorry, I meant that last comment to be posted to Information Tsunami - technology is killing me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was proud of myself because I've gotten through a book and a half, despite watching a movie a day and working full time.

    You put me to shame!

    ReplyDelete