June 11, 2010

My favourite hockey announcer quotes

I have enjoyed watching the Stanley Cup Playoffs this year, as I was recently in Chicago. I watched a few games on television, in a Chicago bar, surrounded by local Blackhawks fans, and it was fantastic.

My favourite part of watching hockey is listening to the announcers provide a play-by-play of each game. They are fast, efficient, and quite often very imaginative and quirky in their phrasing. As the final round of games progressed, I started compiling a list of my favourite announcer quotes.

Below are my top five. They were said during the last four games, and each one made me smile...
  1. "There was a mass of humanity jostling in front of him..."
  2. "He lost his stick, so he became a human Zamboni."
  3. "When you want to put pressure on the opposing team, you throw the kitchen sink at them."
  4. "It's helter skelter here at the start line."
  5. "He had great ice awareness..."

And...

6. "No word on the arrival of the Stanley Cup yet. It's always fashionably late."

Congrats, Blackhawks. I wore my "One Goal Chicago" shirt during every game, and I like to think it contributed to the win!

(For more information on the shirt I'm talking about, see an earlier blog post titled Chicago: Part Two from May)

3 comments:

  1. WOOT! Go Blackhawks!

    You actually paid attention to the announcer. That's wicked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda's Mom14/6/10 8:58 AM

    And have you ever read the sports section in the newspaper? Those dudes can WRITE! Their desciptive words are very, well, descriptive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda Hope14/6/10 9:04 AM

    One of my favourite written quotes is: "He's been more hot dog than ketchup." So good...

    ReplyDelete