June 24, 2010

Public transportation and loud music don't mix

This morning, I sat beside a man on the bus who was listening to his iPod very, very loudly. Usually, this doesn’t bother me, but this particular individual bothered me off for two reasons...

1) It was 7:15 a.m., and I was still half asleep.
2) He was listening to Rammstein.

As I tried to ignore the idiot and focus on my morning bus routine – which is reading fmylife.com – I started thinking about all the different types of music I have heard people listening to while using public transportation. I took the bus 10 times a week for 8 months during my first year of CreComm, and in that time I experienced an array of diverse music. Here are my favourites, for your reading pleasure:

a) Sheryl Crow. (I absolutely hate country music. No exceptions. I’m from Calgary, and if I wanted to hear country music, I would move back.)

b) Celine Dion. (Enough said.)

c) Backstreet Boys. (This actually made me smile and dance around...)

d) Bad polka music. (I didn’t know that polka music still existed. The kicker is that the person listening to it was a 14-year-old girl.)

e) Spice Girls. (OK, I was dancing around...)

To each their own, I guess. I wonder what would happen if I brought a “boom box” on the bus and turned on a Backstreet Boys song. I think people would either find it funny, or I would be beaten up within an inch of my life and my boom box would be stolen or broken.

It would be an interesting sociology experiment...

8 comments:

  1. I take issue with hating country music. Polka...kind of. But when you think about it, what are people trying to do when they have a night club blasting in their ears? Call me old (please don't, I'll cry), but when you can only hear thumping radiating from their buds, that’s not music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a 14-year old girl listening to Polka music. I was in Ukrainian dancing. And my sister does it too. In fact she partakes in dance competitions. See.. there is a reason for everything. But I still love you!
    Oh and I have a half Sheryl Crow half Country song on my Ipod from the Disney/Pixar movie Cars. It's Joey's fave movie and I dont care it pumps me up! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get paranoid that people are able to overhear my music (even though I keep it at a reasonable level), and think I'm weird. My playlist that I listen to most is full of such a strange variety, that people must think I'm a little bizarre!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda's Mom25/6/10 9:48 AM

    Reminder: When listening to music with ear buds/ear phones, do not sing along to the music.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda Hope25/6/10 3:10 PM

    No offence to country music lovers, but I can't stand most of it myself.

    My playlist is probably considered to be weird to some, but I keep it at a reasonable level when I'm on the bus!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sheryl Crow is country music? I must be really old and confused.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amanda Hope28/6/10 3:25 PM

    Haha. Isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you're listening to Sheryl Crow, it has to be the 'If It Makes You Happy', 1996, original eponymous album Sheryl Crow.

    I would be both ashamed and interested to know if people were blogging about my music choices if I listened to my iPod on the bus. It's got everything from John Lee Hooker, Cat Stevens, The Pink Spiders, Lady Gaga & even Rammstein.

    Because it gets you real pumped at 7 in the morning ;)

    ReplyDelete