June 10, 2010

An interesting hobby

Last Thursday, I went to watch my mom’s clogging class.

That’s right, clogging class.

She clogs.

I sat with a group of spectators while 30 women (and two men) danced up a storm for two hours. There were beginner, intermediate, and advanced routines. People would stand up and do the dances they knew, and sit down and watch when they were unsure of the steps. The music was a combination of Celtic and Highland classics, and also modern, popular music including the theme song to Footloose and “Jai Ho” from Slumdog Millionaire.

When I was younger, I took tap dancing lessons. I loved it, but gradually lost interest. Clogging is something very different from tap dancing. Many of the steps are the same, but the overall flow has been altered. When tap dancing, the whole body is used to DANCE to the music. When clogging, the feet are the primary tool.

To better illustrate what I mean by “clogging,” I have included a video below. These are not the people I personally watched last Thursday, just in case you were wondering.



It’s pretty cool! Some dancers in the class wore red shoes, others yellow shoes. The instructor had crazy pink-and-white shoes, and mom told me she has about five different pairs. I would love to do something like this for recreation, and it would have been an interesting idea for an IPP. Unfortunately, I don’t have the time during the school year. Maybe after I graduate...

I wanted to visit mom’s clogging class to see what all the fuss is about, and I’m glad I went. Next, I’m going to visit her Japanese drumming class, and see what that’s like.

Yep, Japanese drumming.

Mom has interesting hobbies.

4 comments:

  1. Amanda's Mom11/6/10 9:08 AM

    Clogging is a fantastic and fun way to exercise. I may not feel like going to class after a difficult day at work, but once I arrive, say hi to my clogging friends and start to dance, I become energized! I invite everyone to contact me (through you) for more information about my clogging class. I have a great teacher who really makes it fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darolyn Pchajek - Clogging Instructor11/6/10 2:24 PM

    Thanks so much, Amanda, for posting this. I'm so glad you came to watch your mom, and check out clogging. I hope to see you on the clogging dance floor someday after graduation! :o) If anyone is interested in clogging, they can check out my website: www.daretoclog.com It was great to meet you! Have a wonderful summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Darolyn! I had a great time, and you're a fantastic instructor! One day, soon, I'll sign up for your class!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lorraine Gauthier11/6/10 6:50 PM

    Thanks so much Amanda for taking the time to come and watch and post your comments!! I started line dancing 4 years and thought I had died and gone to heaven.....then I tried clogging 2 years and knew there was heaven on earth. I just love to dance and clogging makes me feel like a kid again!!! I come from a large family and there was no money to take dance lessons!! NOW I am taking them! Thanks Dar for the great time!! My brain and body both get exercise!!!

    ReplyDelete