November 20, 2009

Where Do All The Road Cones Go?


I realize this is an interesting topic for a blog, but I have a serious question that needs to be thoroughly addressed. I was driving home through a construction zone a few weeks ago, and accidentally ran over one of those orange road cones. I know, I know, I should have been paying attention, but I swear it was strategically placed in a bad location. I continued driving, while cursing under my breath. Those stupid things are absolutely everywhere. This brings me to my question. How many cones does the city have in use on streets at any given time? Hundreds? Thousands? I bet the number is definitely in the thousands. So, what I'm wondering is: where do all the road cones come from?

When you actually stop to think about it, the concept will blow your mind. Mose people have heard the joke that Winnipeg has two seasons, winter and construction. This is true, year after year, and I have personally driven through more construction zones than I can count. And construction occurs simultaneously all throughout Winnipeg. This means that somewhere in the city there must be a place filled with City of Winnipeg road cones, and it must have enough stock to supply construction projects throughout the entire city.

Such a place must exist, and I want to know where this road cone palace of wonders is located. I also want to know if there is one person from the city assigned the important task of watching over the cone warehouse to ensure no one steals anything. You can picture it. A lonely man, the middle of the night. Nothing to keep him company but the thousands of road cones sitting quietly on shelves. I bet it's cold in there; cones don't need heat. I want to meet this person. I would buy him (or her, I guess) a coffee, bring some donuts, and ask what the road cone protection business entails. There HAS TO be a warehouse somewhere, because when winter hits, most construction disappears.

To take it one step further, think about every city in the world. I'm sure most large cities have road cones. Where do they go? And, to twist your mind even further, how many cone warehouses do you think there are in the entire WORLD?! Now there's a thought...

9 comments:

  1. Amanda's Mom23/11/09 9:41 AM

    I think this is a question to ask Mayor Sam Katz - surely he should know where the road cones go!

    ...and as an aside....has anyone ever been "coned"? Other than you, Amanda...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dress her upp in x-mas lights...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been thinking about this for years!!! i still have no answer..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Highway1, your supplier of specialty roading products. Call 0800 175 571 for road cones , hi vis jackets, hi vis vests, cable covers, speed bumps & more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice blog post If you are searching for the quality traffic control accessories Sand Bags Highway 1 has rugged long life sandbags for sale that will not rot or degrade in sunlight

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice Blog Post,Temporary Reseal markers provide immediate and cost effective delineation for both day and night and easy identification of the original line markings during resealing.

    ReplyDelete

  8. Thanks for sharing this usefull information in your website if you are looking for the best highway safety products then should visit safety chain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice blogpost & thanks for giving such useful information about these safety products. If you are searching out for complete range cone bars and Highway cones in NZ then you should visit at Highway cones. And Find a range of Safety Products at Highway 1.

    ReplyDelete