November 15, 2009

My Travels: Switzerland

In Switzerland, my tour group stayed in a chateau, in a valley, beside a river, across a bridge from the town. It was supposed to be a chance to relax and explore before driving into Italy, and it was definitely worth the stop. The weather was slightly “chilly” by European summer standards, which basically meant that a person needed to wear a sweater and socks. (I will point out, however, that this WAS in fact the first time I had worn socks since London. I didn’t care for socks very much at the time). I will write a specific blog about scenery later, but I will say now that the country is absolutely gorgeous. Switzerland looks similar to Austria, except instead of hills there are mountains and crystal clear lakes. Waterfalls dot the mountains, and a light fog settles over everything. It’s hard to describe how beautiful it really was, and unfortunately, pictures don’t do it justice.

My brother Chris and I wandered through the town, which looks similar to the town in Austria. One of the highlights of our walk was stumbling across an old cemetery. Some of the gravestones date back to the early 19th century. Each stone is different, and they all are large and impressive looking. A church and a waterfall complete the background behind the cemetery, and all of the plots are perfectly groomed. What I found to be the most impressive part of this cemetery was the fact that every single grave had a large bouquet of flowers on top of it. Not just some of them. All of them. Chris and I wondered if there was someone who did this on purpose, like a grave-keeper or caretaker or whatever you call him, or if family members actually care enough to replenish the flowers. I like to think it’s the latter, but I’ll let you decide for yourself. I took roughly 50 pictures at the cemetery, and I hope you think it’s beautiful too...

We also stopped in Lucerne, which is the most photographed city in all of Europe. After spending some time there, I understand why. The entire city looks like it could be a postcard. It doesn’t matter which direction you look, it’s beautiful everywhere. I spent a good 15 minutes just STARING, and my brother had to force me to start walking. What really stopped me in my tracks was a bridge covered with flowers. It is just sitting there, in the middle of the city, and I’m pretty sure it’s been there for a long time. As I walked across it, I felt like I was in a completely different world, and that I had crossed over into some alternate universe. Chris and I spent a good 30 minutes taking pictures, and I wish I could have spent more time in Lucerne. I will tell anyone who is planning to visit Switzerland that they must go there. On my next trip, i’m going to stay for a week.

4 comments:

  1. Amanda's Mom16/11/09 9:43 AM

    Did you yodel in the mountains? Or break into "Tthe Hills Are Alive?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I assume with the lack of chocolate being mentioned in your entry, Switzerland really isn't overwhelmed with chocolate everywhere? The rest still sounds amazing, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you mentioned that Lennie! I will be writing a specific blog about European foods later, and I will dedicate an entire section to chocolate in Switzerland. It is EVERYWHERE, and it is FANTASTIC! I think I gained weight just looking at all the chocolate in shop windows.

    Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda's Mom23/11/09 10:31 AM

    I'm looking forward to the blog about food in Europe. On my last trip overdeas, I took photos of everything I ate - my mouth drools when I look at the pictures...

    ReplyDelete