February 27, 2011

Why I love to blog (and why I think others don’t)

A blog is a personal thing. It isn’t like a diary or journal that a person can whisk under the bed when someone enters the room. A blog is published on the Internet, and anyone – even your worst enemy – can access it. Anyone who wants to be is privy to your thoughts, dreams, fears and desires. In essence, they have the opportunity to learn about the inner you, whether you want them to or not.

Sounds kind of daunting if you ask me.

I have been blogging for almost two years now, and I couldn’t imagine my life without it. I love sharing my opinion about everything, and I like having a forum that is strictly mine on the Internet. I also enjoy the comments people leave me, and the emails I get from friends, relatives, and even strangers.

So why do other people hate to blog?

In school, it is required that every first-year CreComm student maintains a blog and posts at least once a week. In second-year, that requirement extends to every major except Media Production (I guess they just don’t write).

Here are the top three reasons why I think people don’t like to blog:

ONE It takes time.

TWO – There is the fear that a person won’t be able to think of anything to write.

THREE – It’s depressing when no one reads the post.

All legitimate issues, but still not good enough reasons not to try. A blog is a fantastic form of self-expression, and I think every person should try starting one at some point. I plan to continue with my blog after I graduate from Red River College. It will follow me wherever I go, wherever I live, and will catalogue whatever experiences I have and decide to share with my audience.

In many ways, a blog is like a time capsule. Or a photo album.

No comments:

Post a Comment