January 11, 2011

Writer's Block

So here is what’s up…

I’ve finally decided on a publisher for my first book. I contacted them, received a quote, accepted the quote, and arranged to send them my material. I have until January 18th to submit all documents, and the publication process will begin.

I’m going to publish my book – Pieces – under my own name. I like my name. I’ve already been published under my own name. Why I even considered using a pseudonym is beyond me, but people think about crazy things when they’re under extreme pressure.

My writer’s insomnia – which reappeared when I started editing my book – has almost completely disappeared. I’m still only averaging about five hours of sleep a night, but I know that will change as soon as classes resume.

Thoughts of how I’m going to present my book at the IPP Presentations have already started to dance around in my brain. I’m determined to come up with an idea for some sort of promotional video, but it’s difficult to create one for a book.

I’ve planned a book reading for Second-year CreComm at Aqua Books in February. It will provide us with practice reading our work in front of an audience, as well as provide some marketing exposure. (Details about the event will follow).

This all brings me to my next point …

For some stupid, frustrating, ridiculous reason I can’t seem to write the back cover of my book. I wrote 100,000 words just fine this summer, but a few small paragraphs about the plot seems an almost impossible task. People will chose to purchase or NOT purchase my book based on what they read on the back cover, so as you can imagine, I’m slightly losing my mind over this problem.

If I don’t write it well, my book might not sell…

Maybe I’m being a little too dramatic, but it’s frustrating because this is the LAST STEP in the writing process. After I submit everything, it’s up to the publishing company. I know I still have time, but as the days disappear I’m becoming increasingly worried I won’t meet my deadline.

3 comments:

  1. If it helps: I usually read the first few pages of the book to see if I like the author's style - that's usually the selling point for me.

    I can't believe you're already in the publishing stage! Congrats - and good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you. Can't wait to read it! Will you be selling them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Heather! That really helps! I've been agonizing over this.

    And of course I'm selling it Jenn! I'm printing 150 copies and accepting pre-sale payments now :)

    Thanks for the support, ladies. I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete