January 21, 2011

Observations from the Skywalk

It’s the last day of my work placement. I’ve spent the past three weeks working on the 18th floor of the MTS Tower in downtown Winnipeg, and it has been a fantastic experience. My days were filled with news release writing, proposal compilation, research and a lot of other interesting activities. I feel like I’ve learned so much, and I can’t wait to use my new skills when I return to classes on Monday.

With that being said, I’ve also fallen in love with walking through the Skywalks that connect most buildings along Portage Avenue. It’s a great way to get out of the office for awhile, but it’s also home to one of my favourite downtown attractions…

Buskers.

I wouldn’t be able to end this work placement without giving a shout-out to the buskers that made my days interesting, humorous and just a little bit more fun. Here we go…

Number Three – The flute player
You seemed like you were truly giving it your all every time I walked past you. The fact that it was a metallic blue flute made the experience even better.

Number Two – The accordion playing girl
Not only were you entertaining, you were really, REALLY talented. Obviously I wasn’t the only one who thought so, because you had at least $50 in your hat on the floor. I hope someone discovers you and gives you a job.

Number One – The recorder player
I’m sorry, but no one can top you. It takes a lot of guts to try and make a living playing a recorder in a Skywalk, and you “brought it” with gusto. True, you had zero skill and received no money from passers-by, but I admired your enthusiasm. I will admit, I did lose it and laugh hysterically whenever I passed you, but I would like to think I was laughing with you. Keep it up, sir - you made my day more than once.

I won’t see the characters in the Skywalk when I return to school, but I’m taking quite a few fond memories with me. I wish all three of my favourite buskers the best of luck. It takes guts to perform in front of people, especially when you know everyone is judging you.

Sayonara, buskers. You’re good people.

No comments:

Post a Comment