January 3, 2011

If the shoe fits...

Tomorrow is the first day of my first work placement, and I am having a minor wardrobe malfunction.

Well, it’s not so much a wardrobe malfunction as a serious shoe malfunction. Over Christmas, mom and I went shopping and purchased as much business attire as our combined budgets would allow. I feel I’m fine in the clothing department, but as always, I’ve managed to overlook shoes.

I feel that I should make one fact very clear before continuing with this post: I HATE SHOES.

In elementary school and junior high, I stood at least a full foot taller than most boys I went to school with. I was always one of the girls forced to stand in the middle of the back row for school photographs because that’s where the tall people always were stuck. I’ve been called “Bigfoot,” “Tree,” “Gigantor,” and a host of other names that only bring back painful memories. Simply put, my height was my nemesis and I developed a complex.



Sure they LOOK innocent. But man do they cause a lot of panic...

For years, I have battled with what I put on my feet in an effort to make myself appear shorter. I wore the flattest running shoes I could find for years, and wouldn’t even consider the possibility of high heels. But now that I am older I am actually content with my height. I don’t mind if I’m taller than someone, because that’s going to happen whether I like it or not. I’ve embraced my height – finally – but unfortunately I’m still having trouble embracing my footwear.

So here’s the dilemma...

I have one pair of black high heels, one pair of black flats, three pairs of boots and I can’t figure out what to choose. I’m wearing a black pantsuit that is simply begging to be worn with heels. I tried on my black ones, and they actually look pretty good, BUT, I don’t know how long my feet will last in them. The longest I’ve ever worn a pair of heels comfortably is three hours, and even that was a stretch.

What if I fall on my face? What if I fall down the stairs? I can’t decide if this is a situation where I should look good or be comfortable. I’m leaning toward the latter, but this is uncharted waters and I’m a little confused.

Help. Gah.

10 comments:

  1. This week I started hating shoes because my grandmother insisted on buying me a pair of winter boots I don't need. I think I might have talked her out of it, though.

    There's nothing wrong with wearing flats to work if you're tall. If comfort is your concern, though, may I suggest something like this: http://cdn.hellobeautiful.com/files/2010/08/kate-spade-halle-shoe-1.jpg Do you remember how the women dressed at your work placement location? If not, wear your flats, bring an extra pair of shoes with you to work and then decide on the basis of what the tallest woman is wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda's Mom3/1/11 9:28 AM

    Wish I could help. I hate heels, too, for the same reason you mentioned. Good luck tomorrow! Carp diem ("seize the day")!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wear the heels, take along the flats in your purse for emergency purposes. If you fall down the stairs, it will make a good icebreaker and you will be even more memorable. (hooray for getting a job :)
    If all else fails call me and I will come and retrieve you from the bottom of the stairs. XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Auntie Gail3/1/11 12:47 PM

    I'm no help in the shoe dept. Whatever you decide, have a great first day tomorrow! I know they'll love you - who wouldn't?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You silly Girl! wear the most comfortable, there will be enough stress on the first day! and I agree with Gail they will love you! :)
    P.S.
    I'm going to pretend you didn't say that 4 letter word about SHOES! In the spring Sweetie
    we are going shopping! You need to go with an expert!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Comfortable is the way to go. I worked there for more than a decade - I promise, no one will judge you for wearing comfortable shoes! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Melanie!

    There was a combination of both heels and flats at the office today. I pick flats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And yes, Aunt Harriet. We should go shoe shopping :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amanda's Mom5/1/11 9:32 AM

    Can I come shopping with you two?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely! and Lunch too!!! :)

    ReplyDelete