January 19, 2011

Bodies: I'm still not sure...

After much deliberation and foot-dragging I finally decided to view the Bodies exhibit last weekend.

Everyone I know has been divided on the subject of whether or not to pay to see it, and up until a week ago, I was in agreement with the latter. But, after reading this article in the Winnipeg Free Press, I realized there was a good chance I might not have an opportunity to see a Bodies exhibit again.

And I’m all about taking advantage of every possible opportunity.

So I went.

I have to say that my initial impressions about the exhibit were exactly what I thought they would be. I was taken aback and quieted as I looked at the first displays. A skull with blood vessels. An arm, a foot, a hand. I tried to pay attention to what I was staring at, but my mind wouldn’t let me stop thinking about what I was about to see when I turned the corner.

Bodies. Real bodies.

I’ve always been afraid of being near dead people. I know that sounds like something stupid to say, but it’s true. And as I walked through the gallery towards a man with his skeleton ripped out of his body, I was afraid.

It wasn’t that I thought he would suddenly come alive, turn his head and look at me. I felt like I was doing something wrong and someone would tap me on the shoulder and take me away for staring.

Weird things to think about, I know.

The jury is still out on how I feel about Bodies. As I walked through each room, I couldn’t turn off the thought that each body used to be a person. They loved, they smiled, they cried and they laughed. I would be devastated if someone I know turned into an exhibit after they died and that isn’t a fate I would want for myself.

But, on the other hand, I do understand the need to know more about our bodies and how they work. It was educational and I know the science-lovers in the city were delighted.

I’m glad that I went to see Bodies while it was still here. I just wish I could decide how I feel about it...

*Photo taken from the Bodies Exhibit website.

1 comment:

  1. I saw the exhibit when it was here in Calgary, and the people on display actually volunteer to have their bodies donated after they die. So, they're having their wishes fulfilled instead of being put on display against their will. Hope that helps you figure out your feelings a little.

    ReplyDelete