December 22, 2010

Today in history... famous deaths

I'm not morbid, but I always like to pay homage to the anniversary of my favourite author's death.

On this day in 1880, George Eliot - the pen name for real-life Mary Ann Evans - died at her home in Chelsea, England. She wasn't buried in Westminster Abbey due to her denial of the Christian faith and the fact that she "lived in sin" with a boyfriend. She was, however, granted a memorial stone in Poet's Corner of the abbey in 1980. I saw her stone when I was in England, and it was a fantastic moment.

Eliot wrote Middlemarch, which is my favourite novel. It's about four couples who are (or are not) in love, and pretty much details what not to do when trying to successfully marry someone. If you want to know more about the novel, click here to read my earlier blog post about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment