December 28, 2010

Inability to eat initiates 2011 menu plans

Yesterday, I had my last wisdom tooth removed.

Yes, only one, but it was impacted (which meant I needed to be put to sleep for the surgery). I don't like being knocked out - as I'm sure most people don't - but for some reason I was especially nervous yesterday.

Well, the surgery was fine. My mouth is swollen and I'm exhausted, but otherwise I'm in good spirits. I can't drive and am supposed to relax, so I've spent the last 24 hours reading, writing, sleeping and watching way too much television. It's not a bad way to spend a winter holiday, if you ask me.

The only downside to this situation is that I can't really eat anything yet. My diet currently consists of pudding and jello, and I am unimpressed. Normally, I don't really think about food. I'm usually too busy to care. I eat because I need to, and over the past few months while in school I have eaten whatever had been put in front of me.

As I lay in agony last night, I started thinking about all the meals that I love but haven't had the time or energy to create. Things such as pesto pasta with freshly sauteed vegetables, or shrimp and spinach salads, have completely fallen off the menu. They have been replaced with instant lasagna, Subway sandwiches, and chicken fingers, and it is time that I put my foot down.

My resolution for the coming year is to start cooking again. This doesn't have to be a huge process, as there is only Jeff and I to worry about. It also doesn't have to be an expensive process, as fresh vegetables are actually quite cheap. I am not going to let my hectic schedule interfere with the finer things in life in 2011, and I have already begun planning what I will try prepare first.

All it took was a surgery and the inability for me to eat to come to this conclusion. Go figure.

2 comments:

  1. Amanda's Mom29/12/10 9:06 AM

    I'm looking forward to reading about your culinary creations. For inspiration, go to http://mennonitegirlscancook.blogspot.com/ it is a blog that showcases one new recipe a day adn I've tried a lot of them - they are delicious! And they have pictures, Amanda, pictures!

    ReplyDelete