January 10, 2010

Searching for the Perfect Greek Salad: Boston Pizza

Over Christmas, I went to Boston Pizza for dinner. I saw that there were Greek salads on the menu, and decided to give one a try. I know that every restaurant makes their salads differently, and I was prepared for that. Unfortunately, I have nothing positive to report.

The real, Greek way to make a salad DOES NOT INCLUDE LETTUCE. I tell everyone this, and no one believes me. I understand lettuce is used in North America, I have come to terms with that, but I still do not like it! Vegetables are expensive, and lettuce is needed to ensure the recipient of the salad gets more than a small plate of cut up stuff...

BUT, there still needs to be at least a few vegetables, and the salad I received barely had any. There also was not very much feta cheese, and way too much oil and vinegar dressing. I left feeling a bit cheated. Until my next taste test at another restaurant, I will have to be content with making my own Greek salads at home.

3 comments:

  1. I believe you! First time I tried Greek salad was in the Florida keys many years ago, and it was the best Greek salad I've ever had to date. Maybe it was the FRESH black olives! Of course, yours might be even better but I've never tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know for a fact that I've been to a restaurant in Winnipeg that served an excellent Greek salad (without lettuce) - will try to remember where it was and tell you. But in the meantime, know that some people believe you that real Greek salad doesn't have lettuce!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda's mom13/1/10 2:06 PM

    I'd like to hear form any Greek people out there! They'll confirm that an authentic Greek salad does not contain lettuce. I'm backing you up - because I was with you in Greece - a traditional Greek Salad is cucumbers, tomatoes, black olives, red onion, feta (usually in one large slab) - NO CROUTONS, NO LETTUCE. I even have picures to prove it!

    ReplyDelete