January 4, 2010

Ode to a Fantastic White Wine

Over Christmas, I did a lot of socializing. Usually, holiday socializing equals holiday drinking, and I did quite a bit of the latter as well. After a certain amount of time, one can no longer drink beer, and I reached my breaking point on or around December 23. I decided to switch to wine for the remainder of the holidays, and I can't express how smart of a move that was.

I went to the liquor store, and wandered up and down the aisles aimlessly. My family are connoisseurs of good wine, and as a result, I have become quite jaded in my selections. Don't even talk to me about Naked Grape - that stuff is only decent when mixed with ginger ale and a large amount of ice. I finally found myself standing in front of the Italy section. I went to Europe this summer – as most of my readers are probably painfully aware of by now – and I drank a lot of wine while I was there. The best wine was in Italy. I walked slowly down the aisle, scanning titles for anything that looked familiar, and finally I found one.

Pasqua Night Harvest Pinot Grigio White Wine, bottled in Verona, Italy. The name sounded familiar, so I bought it. Later that evening, when Jeff and I opened the bottle, it tasted familiar too. Now, I can't be one hundred per cent sure, but I do believe I drank the same wine when I was in Venice. Either way, it tastes pretty good. If you are in need of a beer vacation, or are simply looking for something a little bit classier, try this white wine. It's only about $13 a bottle, so it won’t break the bank either!

3 comments:

  1. Speaking of pasqua wine...you have half a bottle in my fridge that made its way back from the weekend!

    xoxo
    kw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep it safe, and i'll be over this weekend! We have birthday's to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda's Mom7/1/10 4:14 PM

    Two things:

    OMG, you have become a wine snob (of sorts, just like your dad. The wine grape has not fallen too far from the vine..Wait! I think I am a bit of a wine snob as well...do you remember that crap we drank on the island of Santorini?! I shudder just thinking about how awfully sweet it was...I seem to remember us gazing at the sunset over the caldera, picking up our glasses, taking a little sip, looking over at you and seeing you eyeing your glass with a look of utter disgust on your face...

    And is a beer vacation a vacation WITH beer or WITHOUT beer? Just asking...

    ReplyDelete