January 21, 2010

The History of RRC: Part Two

Fondest memories from RRC Alumni:

Alyson Pile (Graduated from Creative Communications in 2008): “My best memories of CreComm are all from the newsroom. Those nights where we worked late always ended up being a really good time. It gave you a sense of camaraderie. And after late nights of big projects, you know that nothing will be harder than CreComm.”

Tammy Hardie (Graduated from the Medical Laboratory Technology (MLT) program in 1980): “I remember Bill Younger sharing his slides… and of course, all the fun practical jokes my classmates and I played on one another in the labs.”

Maureen Frolick (Graduated from the Biological Technology program in 1990): “My fondest memory was graduation day, but also two of my classmates, Deolinda and Susan.”

Why College, not University?

Irene L. Bayne (Graduated from the Medical Laboratory Technology (MLT) program in 1980): “I tried U of W, but found I was unfocused on the outcome of my degree. I found directed courses and working towards a definite outcome was the way for me to go. I have never regretted leaving university for community college. I have been working in my chosen field for thirty years next year.”

Chris Link-Muirhead (Graduated from the Medical Laboratory Technology (MLT) program in 1980): “I found college more suited to what I wanted to do as a career.”

Alyson Pile: “I chose Red River because of the Creative Communications program,” she said. “I always enjoyed writing and the program had such a good reputation that I just knew it was the right path for me.”

Maureen Frolick: “I chose college because it is more job oriented. I was able to take a two year program at RRC versus a four year program at the University of Manitoba.”


Our Current President:

Dr. Jeff Zabudsky is the 44th President and CEO of Red River College, and was appointed to the position on August 30, 2004. He has been involved in post-secondary administration for over 20 years, and has worked in Ontario, Alberta, and Nova Scotia. Some of his numerous accomplishments include: completing the fundraising for the building of the Princess Street campus, expanding regional campuses such as the one in Steinbach, and assisting in achieving record high student enrolment for five consecutive years.

Zabudsky is involved with various programs outside the college, and is Vice-President on the Board of Winnipeg Harvest and Chair of the 2009 United Way of Winnipeg campaign. He is also a member of the Premier’s Economic Advisory Council, the Manitoba Immigration Council, and the Manitoba Poverty Reduction Council, to name a few.

On January 31, 2010, Zabudsky will be stepping down. He is relocating to Ontario, where he will become President and CEO of the Sheridan Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning. Currently, no replacement has been named, but Cathy Rushton, the current Vice-President of Finance and Administration, will serve as Interim President.

No comments:

Post a Comment