January 6, 2010

Manitoba's Gems: Asessippi Ski Hill & Resort

Over the past three winters, I have attempted to learn to snowboard. My lessons usually took place at a nearby hill that was way too small to learn on effectively. While I was able to stand on my board without assistance at the end of each lesson, any skill or technique was completely over my head. This past News Years, I visited Asessippi, and was determined to not only learn the basics, but learn them well. I went on the trip with my boyfriend, Jeff, and our two good friends, Tyler and Kristen. All of them are phenomenal snowboarders, so I knew it would take all of my effort to keep up.

We arrived at the hill around noon on January 1, 2010. It is a “small” hill to my friends, but it looked like Mount Everest to me! Bravely, I decided to bypass the bunny hill and head straight to the top. I am absolutely terrified of the chair lift, but Jeff catapulted me off the top so I wasn’t run over by other snowboarders. Even with his hand to hold, I fell right away after he released me. Then, I just sat there. It is quite intimidating learning something new, especially when that something may result in serious injury if one isn't careful. The seasoned snowboarders and skiers whizzing past me were not a comfort either. But I was determined, and with Jeff's assistance, I managed to limp my way down the hill.

After the first run, I was already beginning to see why people enjoy snowboarding. There is something spectacular about flying down an icy slope on a board attached to your legs. I did not learn how to carve, but by the end of the first day I could make it down the hill alone. Jeff stayed near me - of course- in case I had a serious wipe out, but I was doing all of the work myself. I contemplated trying to launch myself over a jump, but I probably wouldn't be sitting here writing this blog right now if I had done so.

Once I figured out how to work my way down the hill without killing myself, I was able to focus my attention on my surroundings. Asessippi is actually a pretty cool place when you stop and look around. The hill is located inside a pretty valley in Riding Mountain Park. It has three chair lifts and 17 or 18 runs (if you count the bunny hill). There is also a place to go tubing, if that is your thing. Many of the runs are connected, and there is even a heated beer hut halfway down the hill. It is not the largest operation i've ever seen by any means, but for Manitoba, it's pretty impressive.

By the second day, I was exhausted and very, very sore. I decided to spend a number of hours drinking beer and reading a book in the bar while my trio of friends continued to board. This was also an experience, and I became fairly well-acquainted with a bartender from New Zealand named Max. He thought it was hilarious that I hurt myself so badly I couldn't continue to board, but what does he know. In addition to the bar, there are also three large sitting rooms and a few "Sugar Shacks," which are rooms people can bring their own food into. There is the standard fast food type stuff for purchase, as well as the regular array of nachos and cactus cut fries in the bar.

Whether you decide to snowboard or not, Asessippi is a fun day. I would recommend that all Manitobans check it out at one point or another. Russell, the nearby town, has a few hotels that offer sleep and ski packages that are a great deal. There are also a few interesting historical sites around the area - to see them, refer to my earlier blogs - that are definitely worth the trip. I don't know if I will make it back again this year, but if not, I can guarantee I will return next winter.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a good time! I've never snowboarded, but I have downhill skied, though not for several years. Flying down a hill makes you feel very powerful I find, and it's an adrenaline rush. But you do always feel sore the next day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda's Mom6/1/10 9:32 PM

    Good for you for trying something(again!) new. And i'm so glad you came back in one piece, even if every inch of you is sore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you continue to challenge yourself with new experiences.

    ReplyDelete