October 31, 2009

The Classic Novel Files: Outlander

For the second entry of my novel segment, I wanted to include an experience I had a few weeks ago, and promote my favourite author. At the beginning of October, I discovered that Diana Gabaldon would be at McNally Robinson Bookstore on the 16th for a book signing. I eagerly went to school the following day, convinced that some of my classmates would want to come with me. The response to my excited inquiry was actually quite surprising, and NO ONE had ever heard of her! Considering that she has now written SEVEN books in the Outlander series, I felt this was a complete injustice to a talented writer! Therefore, I will try to make this post as interesting as possible, so everyone who reads it will want to run out and purchase one of her novels.

The main reason why I love Gabaldon's books is because they are a mixture of historically accurate information, fictional characters, and cool science fiction twists. The first book, "Outlander," is set in the Scottish Highlands. Claire Randall, a woman in her mid twenties, has just reunited with her husband, Frank, at the conclusion of World War II. The year is 1945, and the couple are spending time together in Scotland before they re-enter the civilized post-war world. Claire is English, a nurse, and also has a love for botany and plants. It is precisely this love that takes her to a stone circle, in search of specimens. She does not realize, however, that this stone circle is magical. Claire touches one of the stones, and is transported back to 1743.

I know, you must be sceptical, but trust me. The books are incredible. The facts are historically accurate, the writing is entertaining, and the characters come to life through Gabaldon's descriptions. Oh yes, and the man that Claire meets - redhead Scottish warrior Jamie Fraser - is the single most incredible man you will ever read and fantasize about. It is worth reading the books just to read a bit about Jamie, and you will NOT be dissapointed. If the Outlander books were ever to be made into a movie, NO ONE could play the role of Jamie Fraser. He is too damn sexy. Really.

There are currently seven books in the series, as the last one has just been released. At her reading, Gabaldon stated that she is working on another, so you better get reading! The novels are as follows:


  • Outlander

  • Dragonfly in Amber

  • Voyager

  • Drums of Autums

  • The Fiery Cross

  • A Breath of Snow and Ashes

  • An Echo in the Bone

I could provide a synopsis of every single book, but that would take awhile, and most people would stop reading this blog entry.


For me, the highight of the book signing was being able to actually meet Diana Gabaldon. It was after reading her first book, when I was about 10 or 11 years old, that I realized people actually COULD write books about history. From that moment on, I truly wanted to be an author. I still do.


Gabaldon was a lovely woman. She was gracious, kind, and took a moment to acknowledge every fan. I was fortunate to be at the front of the line, and both my mom and I took a quick picture with her. I also was able to chat with her for a moment.


One day, Gabaldon will come to one of MY book readings, and hopefully say something along the lines of: "Oh yes, I remember. You were that girl who asked if my face hurts from smiling so much. You also said history rules. Gone and become an author, have you? You did say you were going to do something like that. Did you create a character like Jamie Fraser?"


2 comments:

  1. Those actually sound REALLY good, I'll have to give them a read! As for super hot red heads...may I present David Wenham? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Wenham

    He's going to be playing another redhead romantic hero in the upcoming "Pope Joan", based on the wonderful book of the same name. Unfortunately, I have no idea when it will be released here in Canada, since it is a UK/German production, it may just be direct to DVD here. But I think he could pull off redhead sex God quite nice. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda's Mom1/11/09 3:07 PM

    Going to Diana Gabaldon's book signing was a great experience - and my first time doing something like this! I'm glad I was able to share it with you.

    ReplyDelete