April 14, 2011

Today in history: "Iceberg, right ahead!"

I’m sure that most people are aware of the significance of April 14th. It was on this day – 99 years ago – that the world’s most famous ocean liner struck an iceberg.

I have been a Titanic-lover since I was a little girl. Even before the movie was released in 1997, I wanted to learn everything possible about the disaster. I would watch every single documentary I could get my hands on, and take notes as I learned new facts. By the time I moved away from my Titanic addiction, I had filled three binders with information.

Below, I have included a few Titanic facts that I find interesting. They are from the collection of information I accumulated over the years*, and I hope you find them interesting…

  • The Titanic struck the iceberg at 11:40 p.m. on April 14, 1912.
  • It took 2 hours and 40 minutes to completely sink.
  • There were roughly 2,200 people on board the Titanic. Only 705 survived.
  • One of the first boats to leave the Titanic carried only 28 people. They were designed to hold over 60.
  • There were six iceberg warnings received by the Titanic on the day of the sinking.
  • The ship could have stayed afloat if four of the watertight compartments flooded. Unfortunately, five flooded.
  • The watertight compartments were actually not watertight at all. They were open at the top, which caused a wave to flood over each compartment as the ship sank.
  • The cost to build the ship was $7.5 million and it took 3,000 men two years.
*The information included in the above statistics comes from many different sources.

4 comments:

  1. Dan Johnstone14/4/11 1:15 PM

    Interesting post. I like that you posted a few statistics instead of writing about Leonardo DiCaprio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you gone to see the exibit yet?! You totally have to go, it's amazing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have! I loved it.

    I also went to the museum in Atlantic Canada. They sent the survivors of the Titanic to New York, but most bodies and debris were initially sent our way, to Canada. At the museum there I was able to SIT ON a real deck chair recovered from the wreckage.

    It was amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda's Mom15/4/11 8:57 AM

    We also visited the cemetaries that hold remains of many buried there - it was quite an emotional visit for us all.

    ReplyDelete