April 23, 2011

Reducing my carbon footprint in Winnipeg

I really hate driving downtown every day.

Taking the bus doesn't bother me - and I really do prefer it - but I don't want to take the bus when I have three bags full of stuff (including a laptop, lunch, portable hard drive and camera) that I have to carry on and off the bus with me. I look like a pack mule. It's slightly ridiculous.

Working at IISD for my work placement has taught me a lot about living environmentally-friendly. Almost every single person in my office cycles to work throughout the year, resorting to the bus or carpooling only during the winter months. I admire that about my current co-workers, and it has made me realize that complaining about carrying "too much stuff" is an excuse that most people make so they don't have to try to be more eco-friendly.

This is part of the reason why I've decided to attempt to start riding my bike to and from work every day. It is only 10 km from my front door to my new job at MPI, and I'm pretty sure I could do that in well under an hour.
There are, however, two concerns I have regarding this new idea.
  1. Wardrobe changes - I'm pretty sure MPI doesn't have showers or change rooms or anything to support an employee who wants to bike to work. IISD has all of the above, and employees are given time to change and get ready for his or her day. I'll have to carry my work clothes in my backpack, and change at the office.
  2. Pembina Highway - There isn't a clearly marked bike corridor on this main thoroughfare, and I've heard horror stories of cyclists getting clipped, knocked over or flat out hit by frustrated commuters during rush hour. It is illegal to bike on the sidewalk - because bikes are technically considered to be "vehicles" - but the prospect of travelling all the way down Pembina every day makes me very, very nervous.
Please, City of Winnipeg, we need a bike path or a clearly marked bike corridor down Pembina Highway from the University of Winnipeg to Osborne. Please. PLEASE!

Today, I'm going to do a "pre-bike" to work in an attempt to determine IF I can complete the trip with my bike, my self and my backpack intact. I also want to see what it's like biking down a busy road during the day.

Wish me luck! And don't worry, I'm wearing a helmet.

No comments:

Post a Comment