April 16, 2011

Local author fuelled my desire to publish

Ever since I was a little girl, I’ve been in awe of authors. It amazes me that people can actually write something, have it published, and have other people purchase and read it.

I have wanted to be a writer for as long as I can remember, so I was thoroughly excited – and more than a little giddy – when I met Winnipeg poet, Ron Romanowski.

I have known Ron and his wife, Lil, my entire life. But, I hadn’t seen them for years. We were reunited for the first time last May at Aqua Books, where Ron gave a reading from his third book of poetry – Insurrection – as part of a larger presentation.

If you would like to read the blog entry I wrote about that, click here.

On Wednesday, May 4, Ron will be launching his fourth poetry collection. It is titled The Big Book of Canadian Poetry, and here is the back cover write-up:

"In March of 2009 six Winnipeg poets met to forge a new direction for poetry in Canada. They wanted to instigate a more public focus to Canadian poetry. They wanted to write the Canadian poetry of the strike, the carnival, the revolution and the flash mob. They proceeded by studying the sociology of groups in the works of Dario Fo, Mikhail Bakhtin, Rebecca Solnit and others. They did practical research by attending some of Winnipeg’s many festivals and political and other mass events. New Festival Theory is what they call their philosophy. But their practice is poetry. The Big Book of Canadian Poetry is the brash and challenging debut from the New Festival crew.”

If you are looking for something cultural or artistic to do on May 4th, please check out Ron’s book launch and show your support. I’m sure it will be a fantastic event, and I’m so excited to read his FOURTH book of poetry.

Click here, to check out the poetry trailer for the book launch.

Congratulations, Ron! I can’t wait for my autographed copy of The Big Book Of Canadian Poetry so I can start reading!

2 comments:

  1. Auntie Gail17/4/11 11:04 AM

    Is Lil your mom's friend from school?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda's Mom18/4/11 8:54 AM

    Yes, she is. So it follows that Ron is her spouse!

    ReplyDelete