April 8, 2011

This is the end...

Last year, at the end of first term, my classmate Christa Campbell wrote something kind about everyone in our class and posted it on her blog.

I initially planned to copy her idea, but after careful consideration I decided it would take forever to write about every single person I’ve taken classes with over the last two years. It’s impossible to sum up most of my peers in only a few words, and I could write an essay about each and every one of them.

Instead, I decided to write a post about the end of CreComm and how I feel about it…

I can still remember the first day of school like it was yesterday. I was terrified. I wondered what the hell I had gotten myself into, and I was intently eyeing the exit. We were given “the talk” that basically underlined the fact that our personal lives had just been thrown out the door for the duration of our college education. We were told to fix any personal issues in our lives immediately, as well as take care of the little things like doctor and dentist appointments.

God, was I glad I listened.

I have never – in my entire life - been as stressed as I was during CreComm. There were moments when I thought my head was going to explode, and days when I wanted to sit in a corner and cry my eyes out. I frequently uttered the phrase “there is NO way I’m going to finish all this,” but somehow, I always managed to hand everything in on time.

And, I managed to make it through two years of CreComm without an auto fail.

For those of you reading this blog who aren’t familiar with auto fails, let me explain. When a student spells a proper name incorrectly (e.g. Tim Hortons, the Winnipeg Free Press, etc…) they automatically are deducted 50 per cent on the assignment. Usually, there are additional marks taken off for everyday issues, which means the student automatically fails that assignment.

Almost everyone in CreComm gets them. Except me…

My time in the program was amazing. I wouldn’t trade it for anything, and I would do it again in a second. I met people that I know will be my friends for the rest of my life, and we bonded and grew together in a way that I didn’t realize was possible.

I have hated goodbyes since I was a teenager, so I’m going to end this blog post now.

CreComms: I love you, I’ll miss you, and I can’t wait for both the CCMA’s and convocation when we are all together again.

Lots of love,

Ama

(Note: I DID hand in my last PR assignment on Monday, and I don’t know for SURE yet that I didn’t auto fail it. I am assuming I did not, but I won’t know for sure for a few weeks…)


2 comments:

  1. Amanda's Mom8/4/11 2:16 PM

    Whoo-hoo for no autofails (we hope) in 2 years! That must be some sort of record! I know the past two years have been an incredible amount of work and stress, but the end result is amazing and so worth it.

    My hat (if I wore one) is off to you and your fellow students - YOU DID IT!!!!!

    CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU ALL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mom. It's bittersweet for sure, but I'm glad to move forward...

    *sigh*

    ReplyDelete