May 17, 2010

Writing would be easy in a perfect world

It has been a few weeks since school ended, and I am slowly beginning the process of working on my IPP (Independent Professional Project, for those who have just tuned in. It's basically like a thesis). I initially believed it was going to be easy, but have quickly discovered that writing a book is HARD WORK. After a serious difference of opinion with my plot, my main character rebelled, and I realized I was lacking a timeline that put everything into perspective. The absence of research was also a problem - as my story is mainly based on fact - and I had yet to enter a library or archive to collect information. I seemed to be walking in circles, and I was making zero progress.

But, like many things in life, the light bulb goes on eventually...

After many gruelling hours, numerous pots of coffee, and various creative expletives I feel I am finally on track. My first step in the right direction was forcing myself to sit down and write out a detailed timeline of events. As I mentioned above, my book will be based around real history. Events happened when they happened, and the dates are forever locked down, so all I needed to do was find out how old my main character was during each event and BAM! I`ve got myself a timeline. The only frustrating part was calculating the age of my main character throughout the course of the timeline. I hate math. With a passion. Hate. It.

Research will be key if my book is to be successful, and I want events and situations to seem as real as possible. I want to be able to describe in detail what streets looked like, how people dressed, and how they travelled from point A to point B. I want a reader to be able to envision the settings I create, and later look at a picture and have it more or less represent what they imagined. To achieve this, I will be camping out at both the Manitoba Archives and the Centennial Public Library for days, and days, and days. I will be searching for photographs, mostly, but will also read as many local history books as possible. Unfortunately, local history books at the library are not allowed to be removed, so I plan to get real comfortable on the third floor. It`s going to be exciting... Anything can happen at the library. I already ran into my radio instructor - Gary Moir - last week. Maybe he`ll help me research...

Ah yes, I forgot to mention my library card. I was in possession of one when I lived in Calgary, but haven`t needed one in Winnipeg. I finally decided it was time I joined the book-borrowing masses, and got my first Manitoba library card last week. It`s a half a step forward, and right now, every movement counts.

So, what now...

This week, my plan is to do some serious research and start writing. Today, for example, I am forcing myself to sit in front of my computer and write whatever enters my mind. You can`t force creativity, but sometimes I try to speed it up a bit. I may hate what I come up with, but at least it`s a start. Once I get going, the words will flow. Getting started is always the hardest part.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Amanda -- Old newspapers are your friend. Pick some relevant dates during which your stories take place, and read several different newspapers for each date (you can find a lot on-line). Voila -- not only do you have historical context of the events happening in the world, but you have a taste of the manners, morals, goods and services, decorating tips, the price of real estate, etc, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda Hope26/5/10 11:42 AM

    Thanks for the tip, Karen! I'm going to start doing that!

    ReplyDelete