May 27, 2010

Summer is the time to read

I love to read, and one of the most depressing aspects of being a full-time student is the lack of time available to read throughout the year. Don’t get me wrong – I read a LOT at school. But by the time I get home, finish my homework, start more homework, and finish THAT homework, I am too exhausted to pick up a book. Summer is my time to catch up on reading, and so far, I’m catching up quickly.

I have been out of school for just over a month, and I am proud to say that I have read 17 novels thus far. First, I tackled the Outlander series for probably the 20th time. I usually read Diana Gabaldon’s series two or three times a year, and I have yet to get bored of it.

After the Outlander series, I decided to re-read a few classics. I started with Middlemarch – my all-time favourite novel – and moved on to Pride & Prejudice, Northanger Abbey, and Little Women.

I also re-read Scar Tissue, and I think I read that book once or twice a year as well. It’s an engrossing story, and is told so well. After Scar Tissue, I re-read The Heroin Diaries – which is NOT told as well, in my opinion. I personally believe parts of the story have been fictionalized, but who knows.

Lately, I’m on a law/crime/spy kick. I read a variety of John Grisham novels, including The King of Torts, The Broker, and The Associate. Now I just need to see the movies for some of them (project, Jen). I read a few Jonathan Kellerman novels after that, and highly recommend The Innocent Man. It’s a true crime story about two men who were wrongly accused of murder, yet were sentenced to time in prison. One of them was actually sentenced to death row, and he narrowly escaped it.

Currently, I’m working through a collection of novels by James Patterson. I finished Along Came A Spider and Kiss The Girls – both of which were made into movies – and am working on Beach Road at the moment. It’s pretty good.

My goal is to read 50 books this summer. This is in addition to researching my IPP, writing my IPP, and submitting various other materials for publication. Sure, I can do it all. I just need to stop sleeping.

6 comments:

  1. My reading has been neglected in favour of movies, I'm afraid. I'm hoping to get through two or three books this summer! I'm hoping that once I start my job, I'll read over my lunch break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda's Mom28/5/10 10:02 AM

    Is that Rachel Ott from Calgary?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is, it is! We read each other's stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 50 books! You go girl. I would never attempt such a thing myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda Hope3/6/10 8:45 AM

    I'm at 23 now, so I think I might actually be able to do it!

    ReplyDelete