May 23, 2011

A craft fair can be a lucrative enterprise

When I first published my debut novel – Pieces – I had a few plans for its distribution.

First, I would create a Facebook page. I would encourage my friends to “like” this page.

Second, I would hold a book launch and encourage people to attend.

Third, I would heckle friends and family to force THEIR friends and family to purchase a copy.

I did all that, and sold 150 copies in a month and a half. Not bad if you ask me.

The next goal on the agenda was to purchase another 150 copies and sell them to my secondary audience. Friends and family are pretty tapped out at this point, and I now have to find strangers (a.k.a. the “general public”) who are interested enough to invest $15 in a copy.

Initially, I was unsure of how I would be able to reach the general public. I was becoming slightly nervous I would be sitting on the second printing of Pieces indefinitely when my mom mentioned the Winnipeg Beach May long weekend craft fair. My brother makes jewellery, my mom makes cards, and she suggested we purchase a table for all three of us to sell our creative products.

It sounded like fun, so I agreed.

The Saturday of the craft fair was cold, wet and rainy. We arrived at the arena – with honorary Hope family member Tiffany Lachuta – at 8:00 a.m.

As we arranged our merchandise on the table, I convinced myself I would be lucky if I sold one copy of Pieces. A craft fair isn’t exactly the most likely place for people to purchase a novel, especially when there are so many interesting, handmade items to choose from.

Well, I should have had more faith in my selling skills.

My first sale took place at 9:23 a.m. to a lovely woman who actually came around the table and gave me a hug. A second and third sale quickly followed, and my lunchtime I had sold over 15 copies of my book. I was having so much fun talking to people, and the praise, support and positive comments I received were truly heartwarming.

After eight hours of sitting at our table, I managed to sell 27 copies of Pieces. I surprised everyone – including myself – and I couldn’t be happier with the outcome. My mom, my brother and I plan to enter one craft fair a month for the rest of the summer. We will travel the province, sell our products and enjoy each other’s company. I can’t think of a better way to spend my time.

I want to take a moment and thank each of the 27 people who bought my book. You were all so kind and supportive, and it means so much to me that you wanted to read about my great-aunt’s life.

Stay tuned for info about the next craft fair…

P.S. To watch my book trailer, click here, and to watch my launch footage, click here...


5 comments:

  1. Amanda's Mom24/5/11 8:41 AM

    It was such a fun day and I enjoyed spending it with you, Chris (aka "Bearded Man Jewelry") and my new adopted daughter Tiffany. Here's to more craft fairs in our future. I'm searching the internet for them now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Auntie Gail24/5/11 2:12 PM

    What a great way to combine money-making with family time. Way to go, Hopes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to crack open your book. It's on my list right after I finish up with Annie Proulx and Bill Bryson.

    —from one of The 27
    shelzolkewich.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Auntie Gail24/5/11 10:12 PM

    Shel, You'll love it! And that's an objective opinion even though I am her aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for purchasing a copy Shel! I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete