October 29, 2010

Pride & Prejudice... and Zombies

This is one of those moments when I’m kicking myself for not coming up with a fantastic idea first. It’s like the pool noodle attachments that were so popular when I was growing up. My friends and I were using duct tape to connect pool noodles together for years, but we never thought it was something that could be marketed.


Here's one of the not-so-zombified book covers. Not very scary, right?

To end zombie week on my blog, I want to pay homage to a hilarious novel that is worth purchasing. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies infuses a classic narrative and a modern fad to create a strangely appealing final product. Both Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith are credited as the authors. The original novel was published in 1813, and the modern, “adjusted” version was released in 2009. The plot of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is more or less the same, except that various zombie and ninja elements have been added.

For some reason, my brother and I have had a thing for zombies since we were kids. Maybe it’s the whole “undead” superiority thing. Or, maybe we just needed a break from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Either way, learning about zombie culture is something we have done since we were young. I can’t express our excitement level when this novel came out, and I was not disappointed after I read it the first time. I recommend it to everyone, even if you aren’t a zombie fanatic like me. It’s truly an entertaining read.

The new cover. See what I mean? It's just great...

Here’s a piece of advice if you actually purchase the novel:
Buy the original and the zombie edition. Get a group of people together, and take turns reading paragraphs from each novel aloud. It’s so much fun, and you can actually see where changes were made.

*All images taken from Google.

P.S... Do you think it should be "zombified" or "zombiefied?" I can't decide which way to go...

3 comments:

  1. I read both versions this summer - loved 'em, but I don't think I would've cared for Zombies if I hadn't had read the original weeks before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read either, but I did notice the zombie version in the bookstore. I would love to get together and have a zombie "book club."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these parodies way more than the original books themselves! Great to hear this is a good read, as I've yet to buy this and Sense and Sensibility and Seamonsters.

    The BBC TV series Lost in Austen is also hilarious, if you're interested in another parody of P&P!

    ReplyDelete