September 23, 2010

An IPP update delivered with love

It’s been awhile since I wrote about my IPP (Independent Professional Project), so I wanted to take a moment to update my readers on how my book is progressing.

School has begun, and my weeks are already filled with homework, filming, editing, and photography. I knew that I wouldn’t have time to write a book on top of the day-to-day CreComm activities, and my decision to take the summer off work to complete a draft was one of the best ideas I’ve had in a long time.

I met with my advisor – Karen Press – at the end of week one. Last Tuesday, I handed her a copy of my first draft. It wasn’t actually due until October 22, but we decided together that it didn’t make sense for me to sit on the draft for a month and lose momentum.

In a few weeks, we will meet again, and she will give me feedback. I won’t lie... I’m anxious to hear what she thinks. What if it’s horrible? What if it’s not good enough? I’m sure this is what most first-time writers feel when they relinquish their draft to someone else, but I can’t help but feel nervous. This draft is my baby, and I’ve already lost sleep, cried, and suffered a few hysterical breakdowns in order to complete it.

My classmate and friend – Tammy Karatchuk – has also agreed to help me edit. I worked with her as an intern at The Projector last Christmas, and I trust both her editing efficiency and her opinion. I’ve given Tammy the first section thus far, and am eagerly waiting to discuss it with her.

By January 2011, I want to start the publishing process. I have opted to self-publish the book using a local company, and I’m very excited about this decision. Many people have asked me why I’m not trying to publish my book with a well-known publisher, and my answer is simple. This project is a labour of love from me to my great-aunt. In the end, all that matters to me is that I write something she would have been proud of. I’m not looking to get rich, or famous. I only want to feel, at the end of the day, that I properly honoured an amazing woman.

There will be a book launch, and it will be an unofficial affair at my parent’s house. Everyone is invited. I want to have a huge party to commemorate my achievement, and I want to share the moment with all of you.

Currently, my friend Tyler is designing the cover of my book. I’m very excited about this, because planning a cover means that I am actually going to publish a book. Ty is an amazing artist, and I can’t wait to see his artistry combined with my words.

Stay tuned for future updates. It’s going to be a long and interesting ride, and I’m thankful that you – my readers – will join me for the journey.

3 comments:

  1. I'm still waiting on those tissues. A fantastic read that pulled me into the storyline, and forget that I had to edit. Sorry if there's a tear drop on page 19!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait for your presentation in...seven months or so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhhh! this is so exciting, I'm proud of you.

    ReplyDelete