March 30, 2010

Today in history... One of six wives finished...

On March 30, 1533, King Henry VIII officially divorced his first wife, Catherine of Aragon. Henry has become infamous in the television show, The Tudors, and numerous historians have documented his life and the lives of his six wives. The easiest way to remember what happened to them all is by memorizing the following rhyme:

  • Katherine of Aragon = DIVORCED

  • Anne Boleyn= BEHEADED

  • Jane Seymour = DIED

  • Anne of Cleves = DIVORCED

  • Catherine Howard = BEHEADED

  • Catherine Parr = SURVIVED

Henry was first succeeded by nine-year-old Edward VI (Henry's son with his third wife, Jane Seymour), who ruled for nine years. After his death, it was discovered that Edward had changed his will and named his cousin, Jane Grey, as heir to the throne. She was fourth in line, but her family had conspired to place her in power.

Mary I (Henry's daughter with his first wife, Katherine of Aragon), removed Jane from the throne after only nine days. Mary was the rightful heir, and Jane Grey was later beheaded on Tower Green where both Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard were beheaded previously by Henry. Mary ruled until her death, and became fiercely known as "Bloody Mary" for the number of people she personally had beheaded and burned at the stake. After Mary died in 1558, her half-sister Elizabeth (Henry's daughter with his second wife, Anne Boleyn) took over and ruled for 45 years.

If you are completely lost, don't worry. It took me awhile to figure out how everyone is connected the first time I learned about it in history class.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOOOOVE the history of Henry VIII !!!! I definitely recommend you read the nine days queen. It's a super short juvenille fiction novel from jane grey's perspective. Not an adult book really, but a good read nevertheless. Man, I'm gonna hunt you down for a good chat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually own that book! I read it when I was younger, and that's what got me started on the whole monarch's of England thing! Come find me! I LOOOVVVEEEE to talk history with ANYONE who will listen to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You write a lot about history... it's cool...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the rhyme - easy to remember. And thank you for simplifying who suceeded who - you are right, it gets very confusing. Plus so many rulers had the same first names...love the history.

    ReplyDelete