March 15, 2010

Movin' on up... or down...

Well, it's official. I have potentially concluded the hunt for an apartment, and in the next few weeks I might be leaving my parents house. Jeff and I have been searching for the perfect apartment for a few months, but nothing seemed to be quite right. We were looking for a certain location on Pembina Highway, which is apparently quite hard to find. After looking at many places, and suffering repeated disappointments, we found exactly what we were looking for.

We are waiting to find out if we will get the apartment, which has left me with time to think about this potential change. I have lived with my parents since I was born. The longest I have been away from home was when I was in Europe for two months last summer, but even then I had either my brother or my mother for company. Moving away from home and into an apartment with a boyfriend is a big step. I can't pretend I'm a student who hasn't officially started her life yet. Life is real now.

I won't have my mom there to make my lunch, help with my laundry, and drive me to school in the morning when I am stressed out. Yes, I know I am twenty-three, and should be doing these things for myself (which I usually do), but she is always there to help with anything I need. I won't have midnight chats with my brother anymore, but I guess we will actually have to find time to see each other. And I won't be able to talk to my dad whenever I want. We will have to rely on the phone, or the occasions we meet in person.

But overall, I'm excited. I feel that I am truly ready for this change. Sure, I attend classes full-time and don't currently have a job, but those are just details. Lots of people make it work, so I know that we can work too.

Does anyone have a toaster?

3 comments:

  1. Amanda's Mom16/3/10 1:15 PM

    ...a toaster...or coffee maker...or vacuum ...and on and on...

    Dear Amanda,
    Parents raise their children to be independent. We try to prepare them for life on their own, to give them wings. In my head I know all this, but in my heart...?

    As I contemplated your (possibly impending) move, I wondered how my own mom felt when I left the family home. Unfortunately I will never know, because I never thoguht to ask her while she was still around. I do remember her mentioning once that the house seemed pretty quiet without me. And so ours will seem pretty quiet without you, Amanda.

    I am excited that you will soon be spreading the wings that we have helped you to grow. I am also sad. But I take comfort knowing that you and Jeff will still be over for "Sunday Dinner" each week and be assured, there will always be leftovers for you to take to your new home.

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Ama,
    im so excited to hear you are moving out thats awesome !!! ... i was poking around on your facebook page and saw this link ...so naturally here i am :p .

    You're gonna do great on your own you have two of the best parents i know .. next to mine of course :p and im so glad you and jeff are back together ! wow we really need to catch up

    God i miss you !!!
    Love your friend for life
    Ang <3

    ps. OREOS!!! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on taking the next step. You're headed for some very interesting territory. Enjoy the ride!

    ReplyDelete