February 9, 2010

Whatever happened to Nora Jones?

I decided to look up Norah Jones after I saw her perform on The Colbert Report a few months ago. As it turns out, Jones is a singer/songwriter with a very interesting background! She was born Geethali Norah Jones Shankar in Brooklyn, New York. The part that really interested me was that Jones' father was Ravi Shankar, the famous Indian sitar player. It was Shankar who taught George Harrison of the Beatles to play the sitar. Her half sister is Anoushka Shankar, who still plays with their father today.

It's always interesting to learn how people are connected to one another, especially when famous parents have famous children who have made an individual namde for themselves!

4 comments:

  1. Amazing how interesting people always have intersting backgrounds ... I think that we are all interesting in our own way, it is just how driven we are to succeed that makes us what we are!
    -George

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a big fan of her music, but she's insanely gorgeous. I think she was a presenter on this year's grammys, as well.

    Plus, one of my former co-workers actually worked as Ravi Shankar's tour manager for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Every time you post a "Whatever Happened To?" I get the song by The Buzzcocks stuck in my head. Therefore, you have to cover them some time, even if you don't like them. :P

    http://youtu.be/5UCVmNb05Rw

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow- I knew who you were talking about right away & where this story was going when I saw the name Shankar. Fascinating.

    I don't know if you a Lonely Island fan, but I adore her more for her collaboration with the SNL alumni's musical exploration in Dream Girl.

    Whenever I hear her older music (which I do believe is lovely. Her voice is right on par with the blues/folk artists I usually fall for) I always get a hankering for Chex Mix.


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqXCF9Hs_ZU

    ReplyDelete