October 18, 2011

Bullying is not OK

At work this morning, I took a few minutes to cruise the headlines on The Huffington Post. As I scrolled past mentions of suicide bombings and the latest Occupy Wall Street update, a headline caught my eye.

Ottawa Teen Suicide: Bullying Was a Factor, Says Father

Not again.

Lately, the news has been thoroughly congested with stories about teenagers who decide to cut their lives short as a result of the abuse they receive from their peers. And wasn't it just a few weeks ago that lady Gaga held a tribute concert for a suicide victim?

With all of the suffering we already have in this world, why do children feel it is alright to add the unnecessary and painful act of bullying into the mix? As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, I scrolled through many horrible news stories before stopping on the one about Jamie Hubley.

We already experience enough tragedy in our daily lives – bullying just isn’t necessary.

My heart goes out to the family of 15-year-old Jamie Hubley. I hope that you will be able to find peace after this tragedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment