November 17, 2011

I want you to want more…

A few weeks ago, I was invited to be the guest speaker at a book club meeting.

Somehow, the stars had all aligned at the proper moment, and Pieces was selected as the book everyone in the club would read. Nine copies were purchased at McNally Robinson Booksellers, and when everyone finished reading, they wanted to meet me.

Flattering, right?

Obviously I said yes, and I also brought my mom along for the ride. It’s her family history too, and she offers a unique perspective. The novel I wrote is historical fiction, which means it’s based on fact but some sections have been made up. Mom knows the story as it actually happened, and I knew she would be a great addition to the evening.

Well, let’s just say the club asked a lot of tough questions…

As a writer, I want a certain amount of mystery to remain with the reader after they have finished the book. I don’t want to give it all away, and it’s a good thing for people to want to know more. If a reader were to finish a book and say “that was a decent story, but I never need to think about it again” the writer has failed.

Everyone in the club wanted to know more, which was fantastic to see. It became difficult, however, when they wanted to know specific details that I wasn’t particularly interested in sharing. I never stated that the content of Pieces is 100 per cent accurate. As I mentioned at my launch, it was necessary to take certain liberties with characters and events because all the people who could confirm what I needed to know were dead.

The club wanted to know what I had made up and what was real. I told them a few things, but tried to keep the rest back. They pushed, and I pulled. Mom provided a bit of additional information – some of it being details that I didn’t even know – and in the end, I think the club was satisfied. They are now privy to SOME of the secrets of Pieces, without knowing everything.

Like I said, I want people to want to know more.

Participating in a book club meeting was a great experience, and it taught me a lot. I learned that I actually do need to prepare answers to questions ahead of time if I don’t want to be stuck. I also learned that people will not give up asking a question if they really want to know the answer.

Finally, I learned that the club truly enjoyed my book. I’m pretty sure they would have told me if they didn’t, and knowing I wrote something people take pleasure in is the highest form of flattery a writer can receive. I hope they weren’t too disappointed that I didn’t answer every single question they asked.

But, in the end, a girl’s gotta keep some secrets to herself…

2 comments:

  1. Secrets? A writer has secrets?
    Speaking of public speaking, I have a request involving your Canada's History internship. Pls email me dmcmonagle@rrc.mb.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda's Mom18/11/11 8:48 AM

    I so enjoyed being a part of your first book discussion and also found it difficult to know what to hold back and what not to. After the event I reflected on this, and hope that 'next time' I will be more prepared. It made me so proud to see how people enjoyed what you poured your heart and soul into for so long. Yes, I am one proud mama!

    ReplyDelete