August 7, 2012

Details for the guest book

It has been a million years since I've posted to this blog, and oversight that hasn't gone unnoticed by my friends and followers. In an effort to kick start what used to be my favourite creative outlet, I thought I'd post a few short stories I wrote for my mom over the weekend for our wedding guest book. She wanted to know the basics, including how Jeff and I met and when the proposal happened. I hope you enjoy...

Our first date:
Our first official date can best be described as "casual." Jeff needed a study break (he had an exam the next day), but only had a limited amount of time to grab dinner. He called me and asked if I'd like to go for pizza, making it VERY clear from the beginning that he would be returning to the library after we ate. According to Jeff: "I had been a very poor student in that class - and needed to study hard for a test the next day - but Amanda was too good to pass up." We ate, we talked and we've been together ever since.

How we met:
We first met working together at RONA. We talked a bit on random occasions, but neither of us took the initiative and made a move. Finally, I decided enough was enough. I walked up to Jeff - who was standing behind his desk with another coworker - handed him my phone number, told him to call me and walked away. Behind me, the coworker turned to Jeff and said: "Wow. It's really that easy?"

Who said 'I love you' first:
After much consideration, Jeff and I agreed that we have absolutely no idea when we said I love you or who said it first. As a result, we've decided that we loved each other right from the beginning.

The proposal:
Jeff took me to King's Park, a place where we've spent countless hours over the years. I brought a book; he brought his guitar. We ventured deep into the woods along the riverbank, searching for a spot to sit by the water. Then, when we finally got settled, Jeff pulled out his guitar and played softly while I talked about the new book I wanted to write.

I talked, and talked, and talked and talked some more. I had no idea that Jeff was waiting for me to stop talking so he could propose. Finally, realizing that I wasn't planning to shut up anytime soon, he stopped playing abruptly reached into his guitar case and swiveled around on one knee with the ring box in his hands. I screamed, HE talked, and here we are!

1 comment:

  1. Amanda's Mom9/8/12 8:19 AM

    It's about time! Pleae keep posting on your blog.

    ReplyDelete