April 12, 2010

Aggravated artist speaks out against America

The following was a journalism assignment I completed last Friday. It was a "streeter," which meant I had two hours to wander around outside, talk to strangers, gather information, and write 350 words. Oh, and it was 8 a.m. The names have been changed, but the story is still the same. Here's what I came up with...

The Canadian loonie is currently at par with the American dollar. Whenever this happens, many Canadians take advantage of the opportunity. They travel to the U.S. to shop, to buy tickets for vacations, or to simply exchange their money so it’s worth more when the loonie drops again. Despite the general excitement, one Winnipeg man is frustrated and disheartened by the fluctuating currency. aggravated

Ron White, 39, is an artist. He has been carving totem poles, masks, and killer whales since he was a boy, and lives off the income he receives from selling his artwork. During the chilly winter months, White travels to the U.S. to work, and sells his art on boardwalks and in parks between April and September.

“It’s amazing that we’re ‘even Steven’ with America,” White said. “I bet tons of people will be happy about it. But me, not so much, because being at par is not so good for business.”

The last two winters, White remained in Canada, because he was having difficulty finding buyers for his artwork. With the recession in full swing, and many Americans struggling to keep their homes, purchasing art was hardly a priority.

“It just isn’t worth it to go to America right now,” he explained. “Galleries aren’t buying and people don’t have money for extra stuff. It sucks, but I’m hoping our dollar will drop. Sorry, but it will be good for me.”

John Cabot, White’s friend, is happy both currencies have leveled out.

“I feel for my man here,” he explained, “but, I love any opportunity when we can be equal to the States.”

White isn’t convinced that next winter he will be able to travel to the U.S. to sell his artwork.

“The dollar does what the dollar does, and I can’t change it. I just hope and wait, and hopefully I’ll be in Arizona next winter.”

In the meantime, White said he is scheduled to participate in a demonstration at the Canadian Plains Gallery on May 15, 2010. He will be carving a totem pole, and will provide the audience with historical background as he carves.

“In the end, it doesn’t matter where I do my artwork,” he explained. “I love it, and I guess that’s enough for now.”

3 comments:

  1. You found this guy on the street? How do you know that his story is real?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well... I don't. I was a little concerned that he wasn't being truthful, but it was a school assignment, so I figured I would assume he wasn't purposely lying to me. I don't know what the benefit of lying would be, but who knows! Anything is possible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha... This is great...

    ReplyDelete